[FT] PSV 5 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 64)

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

It leaves us where it always leaves us, beat the other mob and everything will turn out delightfully well. 

I'm totally ambivalent about Europe this year, last nights score line hurts more than the result. We all know what our number 1 priority is this season and its not champions league.

I've been very critical of the manager and have serious doubts about his capability, but if we win the league no one will care about this result. Over to you Michael.

I agree to an extent. It's certainly not the first time I've watched us be humbled in Europe and I doubt it'll be the last. It was our European performances that kept criticism of Gerrard at bay as he tried to figure out how to overhaul Celtic. We could see what he was trying to do. Then, when Celtic changed manager we were ready to take advantage. 

I've no clue what we were trying to do last night. Other than release Matondo and use his pace on the left wing, something we failed to do with any consistency, I don't know what our game plan was. Our fullbacks were once again forced to defend deep, like they were in the first leg, somehow we failed to anticipate this. Their wide men had the freedom of the park. 

So when I say I don't know where this leaves us I mean in terms of a playing style and obvious tactics. Yip, if we get a result on Sunday most will forget this match quickly, and I agree the league is this season's priority. But to do both of those we need to play so much better than we did last night. That's my concern. 

Feared the worst, and so it transpired.

PSV are miles ahead of us on and off the park and we drew the worst possible draw available to us.

Last two summer windows have not been good enough and that's why we are where we are.

Massive pressure on MB on Sunday now. Failure to win will have massive consequences for his tenure amongst a sizable portion of the support.

The collective perceived perception is the Manager must be given time and, I agree with it.

I attended all the home pre-season friendlies and did not see any cohesion, a narrow disposition both in possession, even narrower out of possession, forwards not able to hold the ball or win the foul and, really poor set pieces.

Last night was more of the same and after a 5-1 thumping where our Keeper was the man of the match, a most sobering experience.

The short term future is ra Sellik at Ibrox on Sunday, if Barisic is out who takes over? 

It's telling that the more calm and reasoned posters are now questioning Beale's tactics, alongside the demented-cynics and the stato-VLs. 

We just need the overly optimistic head-buryers to join us!

Join us - we have time on our side... and Tunnochs Caramel Wavers...

one of us GIF

3 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

What's the general consensus on how much time? Interested in what people think. 

I'd give him until bonfire night.  We can't leave it until December again. 

17 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

What is going on with Danilo?  Has Beale spent £6m on a player he's not sure how to use?

I'm genuinely a bit baffled about what his plan is with Danilo and Dessers. I think they might work well together but not sure what Beale thinks because their usage has been a bit all over the place.

Good question. Dessers is fine for the Scottish game, solid centre forward (we might just as well have kept Colak). In Europe, we need skill alongside that, and Danilo looks quite good. Maybe he's not fully fit, but's what you want to know from the manager. It's also quite easy to forget about Roofe, who, IMHO, would do well alongside Danilo.

As has been said above, yesterday was probably 70 % about wrong tactics, 30 % about players. As with Danilo, unless he was unfit, Jack should have started last night. Our wing-backs were leaving large spaces for their wingers to exploit, and they did time and again - with Raskin and Cifuentes not knowing whether to stick or twist. With effectively 7 defensive players, they still cut us open for fun, how de Jong was allowed to bully his way through our area was astonishing. A "proper" CM like Hurlock would have left a mark or two.

Like it or not, but the defensive issues have not gone away. Goldson these days is Premiership material at best, Davies not really suited and/or trusted. Why we did not rely on the experience of Balogun last night is also baffling - if not from the start, then later on. Those few moments that we pressed them, they looked vulnerable, but instead of building on this, we kept it running till we were out of it - and even then essentially switched like for like.

If MB goes in like that against the Scum on Sunday ...

4 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

What's the general consensus on how much time? Interested in what people think. 

In reality he should get at least this season. If he wins a couple of cups/league and gets a decent run in EL, I think most would say he's done his job. 

Personally, I want the league and only the league.

7 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

The collective perceived perception is the Manager must be given time and, I agree with it.

I attended all the home pre-season friendlies and did not see any cohesion, a narrow disposition both in possession, even narrower out of possession, forwards not able to hold the ball or win the foul and, really poor set pieces.

Last night was more of the same and after a 5-1 thumping where our Keeper was the man of the match, a most sobering experience.

The short term future is ra Sellik at Ibrox on Sunday, if Barisic is out who takes over? 

I'd use Balogun, as he is used to these games. Sterling might very well be over-awed, and he's had very little game time. Leon won't go forward as much, but neither expose our defense.