[FT] Rangers 1 (Dessers 24') - 0 Motherwell

I seems to me the directors spend far too much time looking for managers they believe the support will approve of. In reality, the support will approve of any manager who can win trophies and beat Celtic. Beyond that the support (including me) mostly wouldn't recognise the right manager if they fell over him, especially  many of those selling their wisdom on social media. 

The "right man for the job" clearly needs some attributes that recent managers didn't have. What the board needs is help from outwith the club to better identify the qualities required and to focus more on demonstrable track record.

6 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Nah, we beat them 3-0 at Ibrox last season. Surely someone else has beaten Motherwell at home since then.

Apologies, its their first away defeat since their managerial took over in mid February 

When many SPFL teams come to Ibrox, they sit deep and hope to frustrate us. If they are successful in this, they hope to have a go in the last 10 minutes to sneak a goal. We seem to be the opposite. We expect to have lots of possession and plug away, get the breakthrough and then build on it. When this does not happen, we seek to protect what we have towards the end of the game.

When you are only 1 goal up with 10 minutes to play and you know the other team will come at you, you have a choice – seek to exploit their openness and risk giving them space, or shore up and play out the game. It seemed yesterday that the players’ mentality was the latter. Whether that was the Manager’s preference, I don’t know.

We have the best defensive record in the SPFL and that’s not to be sniffed at. We also have some players who are not playing as well as we would have hoped. We would all like to see expansive attacking football with silky skills on show. But when that is not happening, maybe we need to be grateful for 3 points and move on.

As the other Mick said – You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you’ll  find you get what you need.