Rangers Summer Transfers - your say!

Guest bhangraman1986

Linked with Lafferty again today.

Scouting report: Kyle Lafferty, Burnley

It may not have been Kyle Lafferty's night, but he showed enough to suggest a sound football brain and a good deal of potential

Steve Claridge

February 19, 2008 12:01 AM

Scouting a player reputedly worth �£3m-�£4m turned out to be a bit of a surprise. It is a valuation I am certainly not going to quibble much with even though I cannot believe he has had a quieter game all season. Funnily enough, in a match his team won 4-2 he had very little to do with the goals and was very much the team player and not the stand-out star I thought he might be. For all that, there were obvious signs of why Kyle Lafferty is rated so highly by other clubs.

As this was clearly not one of his better nights he was everything a manager would want from a player not at his peak - he needed no second invitation to track his marauding full-back in a game which QPR dominated early on.

Not forceful in his defensive duties, he is instead the sort of player who likes to get goalside and hold play up to allow others to get back into position but he is great for the shape and balance of the side as he gives Burnley the width all teams need when in possession. He also found the energy to track and mark QPR's winger when it looked as if he had the time and space to exploit Burnley's rearguard.

As with all wingers who play so wide they sometimes find themselves a little short of service and because of this he should have been more demonstrative in his vocabulary and body language when he found himself in space. He certainly worked hard enough to earn himself that extra bit of room and was always prepared either to work on the shoulder of his full-back or to come towards the ball as the situation required.

Strangely enough, every time he received the ball, and I mean every time, he went inside, never going down the line, allowing his full-back to show him inside to more congested areas which meant there was very little space to operate in and he consequently could not create much with his crosses.

In this match he looked very one-dimensional when facing up to his marker and he clearly has to mix his game up more, which was strange because his movement to earn space was excellent. He is certainly not a lazy winger at all and seems more than willing to work for any opportunity that might present itself. I just expected him to make more of them.

There is an obvious quality to his game as his touch is excellent with either foot, he has an appreciation of a pass which is of the highest order - something only a discerning fan would notice - and a real understanding of the game which means that even when things are not going his way he still does his job.

His ball retention was excellent and in the main he kept the game very simple, never over-complicating situations, and he was more than prepared to play one-touch when the move demanded it.

His crossing, when he did take his man on and beat him, was good, although when coming inside he left himself with only one option which was to hit a pacy ball to the far post and hope one of Burnley's two small strikers might steal a march on his defender and get a glancing touch on the ball. Unfortunately, for Lafferty, on the night this did not happen.

He joined Burnley from the Irish club NFC Kesh in Co Fermanagh as an apprentice at the age of 16 and made his Burnley debut in 2006. In fact it proved to be a fantastic year for him as he was called up to the senior Northern Ireland squad for a summer tour to the United States and he has gone on to score three goals for a side that surprised many in its Euro 2008 qualification campaign.

With Lafferty firmly on the radar now the only surprising thing about him will be if he does not go on to have a very long and successful career.

How he rates

Age 20

Born Belfast

Position Winger

Height 6ft 4in

Weight 11st 2lb

From Burnley trainee

Pace 8/10

Heading 8/10

Crossing 8/10

Passing 8/10

Shooting 7/10

Team responsibility 8/10

Valuation �£2m

We seem to be having a big interest in him. The fact that he won't take players on down the line makes me think he lacks pace or confidence.

Some rumours I had confirmed or heard over the weekend :

Miller and Lovenkrands are done deals

McGregor to Spurs for �£7M PLUS Robinson (that one I don't believe, especially with the figures quoted)

Cousin and Davis in a straight swap deal - but with several EPL clubs sniffing around Davis, this is nowhere near a done deal.

Shittu from Watford - we have made contact and this is a goer - will depend on fee + wages

Stevenson from Hibs - we are deffo tracking this lad and deal is expected

Make of this what you will.....!

Cammy F

Interesting stuff Cammy.

Miller and Lovenkrands will bring much needed pace to the team and with Beasley on 1 wing that 3 doesnt look too bad. Id be delighted if we get Lovenkrands back - he should have never left. What age is he now anyway? - Cant be any older than 28??

As I said before about Miller he will have to prove a lot of fans wrong but take away his reputation I dont think its the worst signing in the world.

Cant see Robinson coming to Scotland at all but Id take him if McGregor leaves. The other deal with him Ive heard with Robinson is he and Robert Green from West Ham could do straight swaps but I hope not. I said we should have went for Green years ago when he was at Norwich. McGregor would be a huge loss though and if he has a quiet summer on the social side then his off field stuff will die down.

Id rather we just get Cousin sold off for 3 million. He is a good player but has no interest at all. I can see the same thing happening to him down south, he will start off good but then realise Fulham are a small team and want away. Davis would be a good addition for us but 2.5 million tops.

Shittu - Only know his name and he has been around for a while unless there was another Shittu. Cant judge his ability.

Stevenson - TBH ive never heard of him.

Bring back Seeebbbooooooooo as there is no transfer fee involved!!

Aye, but the European competition we play in isn't.

Given our financial restraints at the moment, i don't think european success should be looked upon as a must for us. A decent run that puts money in the bank would do for me, anything over and above that would be a huge bonus.

League titles is where it's at for me. Firstly, it would keep that shower of scum in their place, 2nd. Also, the added bonus of going straight into the CL(more often than not) and the �£10 million plus that comes with it.

I think there's more than enough good quality players that are available at a decent price, that would jump at the chance to play for RANGERS and help us win domestic honours and have decent european campaigns.

Here's one off the bat. Stuartgers has Zoltan Gera from WBA down as 5 million. He's out of contract and we can get him for..........are you listening Wattie?..........NOTHING. An excellent right sided midfielder, who scores his share of goals. A no brainer IMO.

Gera would be a cracking signing. Couple I've thought about are David Healy - I think in Scotland he would match Boyd for goals and his hold up play seems better than Boyds and El-Hadji Diouf. He's wanting a new challenge and he is a very good player.

Really hope McShagger doesn't go, can't see us getting an as good replacement.

Stevenso from Hibs looks a very good player but the only point in signing him is if he is gonna play. No point in another Alan Gow situation.

If we do sign Lovenkrands and Miller then those 2 plus Beasley will be a very pacy front 3 but where exactly are the goals coming from?

As for Barry Ferguson, I would take aything for him. He is a liability to the team. He seems to thik martyring himself for the team is a better idea than admitting he's unfit and letting a player who can contibute take his place.