Rangers consider loan move for David Healy

Rangers are considering making a loan move for Northern Ireland hero David Healy.

The Sunderland striker is one of a number of names on an Ibrox hit-list as Walter Smith attempts to improve a squad that has fallen seven points behind Celtic in the Scottish Premier League title race.

Smith is interested in bringing Aberdeen striker Lee Miller and Hearts right-back Robbie Nielson to the club on a permanent basis, but the Gers boss must sell before he can buy in a major clear-out, therefore at the moment is weighing up loan deals.

And that�s where Healy comes in. The 29-year-old has been linked previously with a move to Rangers when he was in the middle of that record breaking scoring run for Northern Ireland in the 2008 European Championship qualifying campaign.

Last year the Glasgow giants signed two of Healy�s international team-mates, Steve Davis and Kyle Lafferty. It would be quite a hat-trick if they recruited Healy, even if it was on a temporary basis.

At present though all Healy, who has scored 35 goals for his country, is concerned with is playing on a more regular basis for Sunderland.

Since signing for the Black Cats, he has endured a frustrating time, sitting on the sidelines, although he did make a return to first team duty last weekend, coming on as a substitute in the 3-0 Premier League defeat at Everton.

Tomorrow Sunderland host Bolton in the third round of the FA Cup and the Killyleagh man is hoping to be involved.

Writing in his Belfast Telegraph column today, Healy said: ââ?¬Å?I want to play for Sunderland more in 2009.

ââ?¬Å?I was delighted to join Sunderland from Fulham in the summer because it is such a big club with a passionate support, but I have not played nearly as much as I had hoped.

ââ?¬Å?I was pleased to come off the bench for 15 minutes against Everton last Sunday, although losing the game 3-0 wasnââ?¬â?¢t in the script.

ââ?¬Å?It had been a while since I played in the first team and it was great to get a game again.

ââ?¬Å?I donââ?¬â?¢t want to just be playing a game every two or three weeks though.

ââ?¬Å?My aim is to be involved all the time.

ââ?¬Å?Hopefully I will be involved in our FA Cup tie at the week end against Bolton.ââ?¬Â

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/rangers-consider-loan-move-for-david-healy-14127273.html

Mmm not sure why we are looking at Healy and Lee Miller unless WS has no intention of playing Naismith, Novo, Velicka or Lafferty when Miller and Boyd are in the side.

We should be looking to strengthen the defence first

I'm not fussy for Healy. It's not bad luck he's become a bit of a footballing nomad, his goal scoring record at club level is poor to say the least, and alot of that has been outside the top division.

Central defenders and a right back first and foremost.

Seems we should prioritise two centre backs, a right back, and a left midfielder.

After that we need a left back, a right midfielder, a creative midfielder as back up to Mendes and possibly a back up to Thomson.

Then maybe we can think about our strike force but with Boyd, Miller, Lafferty, Velicka, Novo, Naismith, Lennon and Fleck, you'd think we'd be covered there.

As we're skint, we should get a centre back, make do with Whittaker and Broadfoot, see if Stevie Smith can get back to his previous form, give Beasley, Edu and Aaron a go in midfield, bring Novo up the pecking order and possibly bring Hemdani back in from the cold.

Get rid of McCulloch, Dailly, Gow and Burke.

Walter is becoming very culpable for having a huge squad while only utilizing a very small one. He's created a ton of passengers that are sapping the club's finances while having little chance of playing.

I know some are injured etc, but we have G.Smith, Daily, Webster, McCulloch, S.Smith, Burke, Hemdani, Edu, Beasley, Velicka, Naismith and Gow all collecting wages while having little chance of a game. That's a whole team with a sub.

We could let them all go, free up over hundred a week and not actually notice the difference on the park.

Smith needs to start using his squad or trimming it right down.

PS I see Aaron and Fleck in a slightly different light as they are both under 19.

We needed a central defender in the summer and got two strikers. We needed a left midfielder and got two centre-midfielders. Lets all just kid on and say we need two strikers then maybe we will get a defender.

Hah i've got Walter sussed.:)