How SPL teams will vote

“In the event of serious financial difficulty, the board will have to look to the members, shareholders and supporters to step up their support for the club and the Well Society. This is likely to be in the form of increased prices, higher attendances and further Society memberships and contributions."

At last, somebody telling their fans the truth. Basically, if you vote out of hatred rather than common sense you will put your own club into administration. As we all know you won't put any more money in, because you care more about fucking up Rangers than you do supporting your own team.

Even just one season without us could put any club in trouble who hasn't budgeted for it or hasn't been able to budget for it. Most of the clubs will be fine, but I'd imagine that at least a couple are seriously worried and will be even if we're expected to only be out of the SPL for one season.

That's why the witch hunt's newly cooked-up Rangers go to division 1 as punishment brainfart doesn't make any sense either.

The punishment which makes the most amount of sense is simply to vote us into the SPL, but with a heavy points penalty. A point deduction of (just for example) 25 points for next season would mean that we would in no way be guaranteed to finish in 2nd or 3rd place, especially when you consider that our playing squad is looking likely to get weakened this summer.

I don't buy into the idea that SPL clubs will lose significant sums of money from their own fans boycotting their home games. That's just semi-idle threats from the loony fringes of the support at these clubs. The mind-boggling question is why don't the smart, wise and sensible supporters at these clubs tell the "mad joe" loonball types to shut the f*ck up instead of constantly letting them talk crap and slaver on about threats to damage their own club? If Scottish football needs any new campaign at all, it's "Gag The Loony Brigade".

Dundee United chief Stephen Thompson reveals why he has said 'no' to Rangers newco

Jun 23 2012 by Hugh Keevins

Tannadice Park Stadium

DUNDEE UNITED chairman Stephen Thompson crawled into bed at one in the morning and knew an insomniac had more chance of getting a good nightâ??s sleep than he did.

Four hours earlier, on Thursday night, he had released a club statement that promised United would be voting â??noâ? when the SPL met to discuss a Rangers newco.

And last night he outlined to Record Sport the hard facts of life as they apply to standing up for what you believe in:

● If an extra 1000 United fans buy season tickets they will pay for the loss of games with Rangers.

● United wouldnâ??t last five years without ample box office backing.

● Other clubs have to stand up and make their position on Rangers clear like United and Hearts.

The Tannadice declaration was seen as another nail in Gersâ?? coffin and the start of a move to demote the Ibrox club to the lower leagues.

But that wasnâ??t what destroyed the Tannadice chairmanâ??s chances of getting his first decent nightâ??s kip for months.

His main concern was how the United fans would respond to his rallying cry to show the club support before the financial consequences of Rangersâ?? departure from the top flight hit home.

Then Thompson woke up to find there were queues outside the ground to buy tickets and his email inbox was full of messages of congratulation from supporters of other clubs.

However, he told Record Sport he couldnâ??t feel any sense of elation because he was too knackered to take it all in.

What had lifted Thompsonâ??s spirits, though, was a chance meeting with one ticket-buyer whose decision to spend £265 was all the more remarkable because he will never see the team play.

He revealed: â??The guy told me was in the city on a visit from Australia. He agreed with the decision we had taken as a club and decided to buy a season ticket he would donate to a fan before going back Down Under.

â??Then I turned on my computer and there were messages from fans of all sorts of clubs saying well done for coming out and making Unitedâ??s stand a matter of public record.

â??On my way out of the ground to go for a quiet coffee I also met a fan who said he wasnâ??t going to buy a season ticket if we had approved a newco but was now getting four.

â??The past few months have been stressful on a personal basis.

â??I like to think Iâ??m thick-skinned but you have to be concerned whether the fans will back the board after weâ??ve made our decision on the gameâ??s biggest issue.

â??Itâ??s a big risk and you donâ??t take these matters lightly.

â??Thereâ??s a feeling that you want to do whatâ??s right and a realisation that doing the right thing brings with it a huge financial pressure.

â??It was a massive decision for us to take and a tough one as well.

â??But if we can sell an extra 1000 season tickets that will compensate us for the loss of SPL fixtures against Rangers next season.

â??Without them? No club.â?

Thompson has to involve his clubâ??s supporters in everything he says because he needs them to understand the power they wield beyond being the driving force behind a â??no to newcoâ? vote.

He added: â??If a club fails to listen to its customers then it dies, itâ??s as simple as that. Without our fansâ?? full backing Dundee United dies in five or six years.

â??We stuck our heads above the parapet when we went public and some other clubs might have to be put under pressure before they will do the same.

â??Thereâ??s a feeling of anxiety about Sky TV and whether theyâ??ll walk if Rangers arenâ??t in the SPL next season.

â??The new, five-year deal we have with them isnâ??t signed yet but Iâ??m also looking at the knock-on effects of taking a stance on the newco vote. I spoke to people at Hearts and theyâ??ve noticed an immediate uplift in ticket sales after Vladimir Romanovâ??s statement that he couldnâ??t back Rangersâ?? right to stay in the SPL.

â??Iâ??m even looking ahead to the day when we might be thinking in terms of an SPL channel, owned by the supporters and clubs.â?

In the meantime, Thompson has the satisfaction of knowing he has listened to the supporters and played fair.

He said: â??We simply couldnâ??t raise season-ticket prices.

â??Our ticket is only a couple of pounds more expensive than Dundeeâ??s â?? and weâ??re offering the guarantee of SPL football.

â??A rise will have to come one day because clubs are having to deal with increases in everything, from electricity to pies, but now is not that time.

â??All of these things were buzzing round my head when I went home on Thursday night. Then my mobile had to deal with so many calls that it ran out of power about the same time as I did.

â??I sat up until one oâ??clock and my small son woke up at six oâ??clock. You have to think about your family at a time like this because you want to protect them.

â??But the bottom line is the long-term good of the game and whatâ??s best for your club. And if you had a public vote among every supporter in the country, excluding the Rangers fans, 90 per cent of them would be in favour of Unitedâ??s decision.â?

Your 1000 ST will be gone next season and so will the Rangers away supporters for years to come. Look forward to your 7 poor years Mr Thomson.

If down to business reasons, I think Celtic, Motherwell, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen will vote us in. I also think St Johnstone and ICT will go with us. That would leave us needing one from St Mirren, Hibs and Ross County and I think we'll get that.

He and quite a few others should never set a foot into Ibrox again without paying for it.

As for Thompson, no matter how he describes this, Hearts, United and Motherwell are the three sides which will profit most if Rangers are out of the equation. Since they will battle it out for European places and if the difference between finishing 2nd and 3rd is 800k (or somesuch), that is another reason not wanting to have us.

Even if the vote goes against us, I would expect that some chairman come out and say that they voted "YES" (e.g. Motherwell), since they do not want our support to stay away once we are back in there.