Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

I have held my tongue but after our performance this weekend it's become clear to me that McCoist has no interest in playing good football, or anything resembling it. All I can dream of is a future where we have a philosophy at our club that focuses on attacking football and short passing, the way it once was.

The pre-emptive excuse pedalled for the likely shite football this season was bad pitches, dirty challenges and dire football played against us but Peterhead played it fair and square, better football than we did, and the pitch was fine.

The fact McCoist still has us playing 3 at the back speaks volumes. 3 at the back might work for Marcelo Bielsa but McCoist is no such genius tactician. 3 at the back and big Jig and Kevin Kyle up top :disgusted::disgusted::disgusted::disgusted:

Did you actually watch the game? Your comment seems to suggest you simply deduced your line of attack from a match report.

......In our case that's simply unnacceptable for a sizable number of fans. Some of those fans may even claim they'd be happy to be 2nd / 3rd rate if we played exciting football 'the way it should be played' but I suspect they'd still be the first to call for heads to roll at the first dropped point.

I'm used to exciting or was used to exciting football from Rangers in days ago, I stupidly thought that I might see it again playing 3rd Division opposition but after watching that mince with a high wage bill on Saturday made me realise that's dreamboat stuff.

No season ticket from me I'm afraid as long as McCoist, Durrant etc remain in the hot seats with clipboards and chewing gum.

Charles has a big big decision to make - and he'll make it of that I'm sure.

Charles has a big big decision to make - and he'll make it of that I'm sure.

Well that decision would definitely be in keeping with his approach of playing up to the 'support' - yes I'm using that term loosely ...Might also sell a handful extra season tickets as a bonus.

No, sorry. I don't believe even Charles Green could make a blunder of that magnitude

Edited by UCF2008

you forgot the long ball and the one pass/no pass passing sequence. no fluidity, no skill, no guile, no excitement, no pace. the same mistakes and the same negative and turn off football we had last year and the year before, the year before and the year before. i was desperate to get 4 season books this season for myself and my family, ally has just saved me a fortune.

Is there any way we can have a separate bit on the forum for all the all the negative stuff :) I mean how many times do people need to repeat themselves slagging off the same formations, staff and players it's getting like FF on here :seal:

I wonder what the tactical genius up there would like to use instead of 3 at the back in the 3rd? 4 at the back? We more or less switched to 2 at the back when Broadfoot roved forward in the second half. We lost the first goal when essentially Bocanegra slipped, yet Goian was also there. So give the Peterhead striker credit for that. The second was lost after some poor defending after a corner ... with all of our squad involved. So where do you see any grand problems with tactics is beyond me, not least since the same line-up destroyed East Fife on Tuesday. This was a typical - essentially - pre-season scrap and we've seen these type of games before, under each manager. Once the team has settled and gets some games under their belt, the quality will prevail. But some folk will continue to moan and groan, even if the cornerflags at Ibrox are not ironed perfectly.

The difference between Smith and McCoist is the players genuinely looked like they wanted to burst a gut for Walter, I haven't seen any of that attitude for McCoist and after a year that's worrying.

Well, they were bursting their guts early on and marched on a lengthy unbeaten run, after the European disasters, for which I for one blame the players, not the manager. Then came the Naismith injury, then administration. No matter who would have been the manager, after admin the squad's performances dropped, Jela went and it was a lost course. There was nothing to be done about it. Just remind yourself of "Walter's Folly", when he announced his first retirement half-way through the season. IMHO, nothing and no-one could have made more out of Rangers last season than McCoist did. And to those who come up with their "excuses" lines now, you sure suffer from disfunctional reality perception, haven't been watching football for more than a year, or are simply trolling.

See when we pump the next 3rd division team at ibrox it will be funny to watch how the people forget about this match. These matches away to these small grounds will never be easy and I am hoping that it was just complacency that kicked in because they horsed a 2nd division team in midweek. Maybe their attitude's were wrong in thinking they would walk the game. I hope it was the wake up call they need but I am not too concerned yet. Far too early into the season.