I would assume that Gallacher will be our next No. 1 after Bell, or someone who chases Bell for that spot. Gallacher will, unless Bell gets injured, get no game this season. That can only hamper his developement. Can Smith or any other youngster step up and play for us in front of 40k in a Cup game against an SPL side though? As goalie, where one blip will be punished ... and 40k people will scream in dispair? And just don't come up with any stuff like: "if he can't handle that, he's not good enough anyway!" McCoist looks for a decent cover-goalie for Bell, no more, no less. Someone who will probably pick up 1k max per week, which is probably still 500 pound more than he was on at Dundee. For these "peanuts" he'll get an experienced pro who won't be faced by SPL opposition and 40k screaming supporters.

Sam Makes Strong Start

I remember reading you saying that about Hardie on here the other night mate, but surely if he looked like a lanky boy compared to the Clydebank players, yet still scored 5 goals, it shows that a player's stature and physical presence isn't necessarily the most important thing?

I'd agree it isn't the most important thing but it is important. There is a physicality in professional football and if he's not yet ready for that bringing him in could be detrimental. That said I imagine the club are working on that, at that age 6 months can make a big difference. He didn't look ready now, but he will be quite soon.

I understand the logic of having competition for Bell if Scott Gallacher is going out on loan, but I don't understand the timing. Having another keeper of similar standard and experience to Bell as bench-warming competition for the number one spot is a ridiculous extravagance for a 3rd tier club, even for us. I don't see why we would need to bring in another experienced top quality keeper before our top flight return. Bring in another cracking keeper in the summer of 2015 and put the wages saved into a transfer kitty that can be accumulated over the next 2 years.

I agree it's extravagant and unnecessary, I only mentioned it only by way of explanation.

ALLY McCOIST says it’ll be the end of the week before he knows if he’s going to be in a position to be able to offer trialists Steve Simonsen and Sam Kelly deals at Rangers.

Both players are still training with the squad and in keeper Simonsen’s case that means he’s into a third week at Murray Park.

McCoist has been happy with the way both have gone about their business and he seems keen to secure each on a contract.

But whether the 50-year-old is able to or not is likely to be determined by movements elsewhere within his squad.

The manager has discussed the prospect of recruiting each player with chief executive Craig Mather in the last few days.

Now the intention is to have them working at Auchenhowie for a little longer until a resolution is found one way or another.

McCoist said: “Both of them are here for another week and I’ve had a chat with Craig regarding them.

“The fact they’re here once again would indicate that they’re certainly doing well and that we’re happy to have them here.

“In terms of maybe offering them something longer term, it’ll maybe be Thursday or Friday before we know any more on that.”

McCoist remains keen on other players too, with an as-yet unnamed striker one of his targets along with Bosnian defender Boris Pandza.

The former Mechelen stopper is someone Rangers have been interested in recruiting for a number of weeks now following a recommendation from ex-Light Blues star Sasa Papac.

Although talks have stalled, McCoist remains optimistic an agreement can be reached to bring the 26-year-old to Glasgow.

He added: “Not all transfers are clear cut and can get done in 24 hours. This one is obviously longer and it has taken a little bit of time.

“But I’m still very hopeful. My job as manager is to improve the squad when and where I can and there are certainly one or two players I would like to bring in.

“I’d like another centre back and another forward as well because they are areas where I feel we are sparse in terms of dealing with injuries and suspensions if they come.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/4897-boss-waits-on-deals

Seems pretty clear he's been told to trim the squad if he wants to add some fresh blood. No doubt some pay-offs in the offing. *sigh*

Yup. Just been to skysports.com, they list a squad of 36 players. There's a couple on there who I wouldn't count as first team players, it still is gigantic.

Hate the idea of pay-offs but if the pay off plus saved wage equates to about the wage for the new player then I would be a bit more comfortable with it, especially if the current incumbent has no chance of playing

The point is that we obviously have to invite people looking to buy any players too. Bocanegra had offers, Goian too. Why there was need for any pay-off is beyond me. If anything, we could have freed them for their new clubs. As it stands, these two chaps got a pay-off from us and also a new wage from their new clubs. Even my limited business understanding notes the wrongness of somesuch.

I would assume that we are trying to get Hegarty, Hutton, Perry, Gallacher and possibly Gasparotto out on loan or may even sell some of them. Argyiou is also still there and bound to go.