Not in my experience, but who's to say whether that's representative or not? Growing up in the 80's, anything & everything Irish was considered linked to the IRA and therefore suspect. Last week's news about the Irish police leaking info to the IRA seems to back the suspicions up, mind you!

I suppose, like this 'when we say UVF we mean the army' crap we now have to suffer, people will claim that they don't hate the Irish, it was only the IRA. Not how I remember it. <shrug>

You clearly dont know any UVF songs as it's quite clear that it is the original UVF who fought in the war that is being sung about.

You clearly dont know any UVF songs as it's quite clear that it is the original UVF who fought in the war that is being sung about.

You'll never convince me of that.

Anyhoo, I'm not going to start another boring, pointless, yes it is/no it isn't farrago. Suffice it to say I hold this weaselly attempt to deny our actions in the 80's and 90's (dunno about the 70's, too young) in total contempt. I know what I was singing about back in the day, so you may take your certainties and whistle Dixie!

You'll never convince me of that.

Anyhoo, I'm not going to start another boring, pointless, yes it is/no it isn't farrago. Suffice it to say I hold this weaselly attempt to deny our actions in the 80's and 90's (dunno about the 70's, too young) in total contempt. I know what I was singing about back in the day, so you may take your certainties and whistle Dixie!

Surely the lyrics here will convince you?

In 1912 a home rule bill England would impose

So Lord Carson he did raise an army to oppose

But off to France our boys were sent

And Carson he did say

Go take our sons and tell the huns that we are on our way

We're coming

We're coming

We are coming down the road

We are the volunteers of the UVF and we're coming down the road

No because I have no interest in him. They were a group who were set up to prevent home rule and fought for our country in the war. That's a fact, you're the one spinning it.

Ok, next time a UVF song is sung at a game you look around you to see what the reaction of our support is.

They didn't fight for our country as the UVF, they were simply soldiers in the British Army, not every one in the 36th (Ulster) Division had been in the UVF, and some served in other formations. Many Irish Catholics fought for Britain in WW1 - do you sing about them?

No because I have no interest in him. They were a group who were set up to prevent home rule and fought for our country in the war. That's a fact, you're the one spinning it.

Ok, next time a UVF song is sung at a game you look around you to see what the reaction of our support is.

Well I've no interest in people who deny the truth but I find myself reading your ridiculous posts. I think you are liar anyway, you know fine well what the UVF were and just don't want to admit it in public.

Anyway, educate yourself, here's what Martin Dillon wrote about the UVF's murder of Thomas Madden - "Somewhere between his lodgings and his place of work he was apprehended by his killers, most likely in the vicinity of the Crumlin Road. He was taken to a lock-up garage in Louisa Street off the Oldpark Road. Between the hours of 10:00 P.M. and 4:00 A.M. he was tortured. He was suspended by a rope from a wooden beam and stripped of his clothing. A knife was used on his body much in the manner a sculptor would chip away at a piece of wood or stone. Long cuts were made down his back and thighs and in all there were 147 stab wounds on his body. This was the work of a sadist, and the pathologist’s report indicates that it was the work of one man. Not one of the wounds would have been likely to cause death but Thomas Madden must have lost consciousness frequently and been revived. Unlike Arthurs, his death did not occur from a bullet wound but from gradual strangulation from a slowly tightening noose. A woman in the vicinity of Louisa Street later revealed that at 4:00 A.M. she heard a man screaming, “Kill me. Kill me”.

‘The body was dragged one hundred yards by the killers, lifted to a height of six feet and thrown over a metal gate into a shop doorway. The manner of Madden's demise was similar to that of Arthurs and the wounds suggested the use in each killing of a nine-inch double-bladed knife. There was undoubtedly a lot of blood spilled in both instances, and this was to become a feature of killings by the Shankill Butchers, and particularly by Lenny Murphy."

Think on that the next time you're singing your song.

They didn't fight for our country as the UVF, they were simply soldiers in the British Army, not every one in the 36th (Ulster) Division had been in the UVF, and some served in other formations. Many Irish Catholics fought for Britain in WW1 - do you sing about them?

Why would he sing about them rather than these other allies who fought with Britain in WW1?

Allies were:

Australia, Britain, Canada, India, South Africa, New Zealand, France, Japan, the Russian Empire, a number of Arab Bedouin tribes, Greece, Italy, Belgium.

Surely the lyrics here will convince you?

In 1912 a home rule bill England would impose

So Lord Carson he did raise an army to oppose

But off to France our boys were sent

And Carson he did say

Go take our sons and tell the huns that we are on our way

We're coming

We're coming

We are coming down the road

We are the volunteers of the UVF and we're coming down the road

He's not singing about WW1. Why would someone want to sing about a futile imperial stalemate that happened nearly 100 years ago?

Those lyrics certainly appear to be about WW1.

Well I've no interest in people who deny the truth but I find myself reading your ridiculous posts. I think you are liar anyway, you know fine well what the UVF were and just don't want to admit it in public.

Anyway, educate yourself, here's what Martin Dillon wrote about the UVF's murder of Thomas Madden - "Somewhere between his lodgings and his place of work he was apprehended by his killers, most likely in the vicinity of the Crumlin Road. He was taken to a lock-up garage in Louisa Street off the Oldpark Road. Between the hours of 10:00 P.M. and 4:00 A.M. he was tortured. He was suspended by a rope from a wooden beam and stripped of his clothing. A knife was used on his body much in the manner a sculptor would chip away at a piece of wood or stone. Long cuts were made down his back and thighs and in all there were 147 stab wounds on his body. This was the work of a sadist, and the pathologist’s report indicates that it was the work of one man. Not one of the wounds would have been likely to cause death but Thomas Madden must have lost consciousness frequently and been revived. Unlike Arthurs, his death did not occur from a bullet wound but from gradual strangulation from a slowly tightening noose. A woman in the vicinity of Louisa Street later revealed that at 4:00 A.M. she heard a man screaming, “Kill me. Kill me”.

‘The body was dragged one hundred yards by the killers, lifted to a height of six feet and thrown over a metal gate into a shop doorway. The manner of Madden's demise was similar to that of Arthurs and the wounds suggested the use in each killing of a nine-inch double-bladed knife. There was undoubtedly a lot of blood spilled in both instances, and this was to become a feature of killings by the Shankill Butchers, and particularly by Lenny Murphy."

Think on that the next time you're singing your song.

These truly are disgusting actions and a horrible death for that man. I assume Thomas Madden was an IRA man and this incident happened in the 60/70's. No wonder the GB support the IRA.

Those lyrics certainly appear to be about WW1.

Yeah well, so 'up to our knees in ****** blood' literal too? If people want to sing about the UVF they should at least be honest about their reasons.