Third Allan bid rejected

If Hibs let him go and by that I mean sell to Rangers and if they opened negotiations I'm sure a fee in the £400k region would be agreed between both parties.

Hibs could then use the money to add 2 or maybe 3 players which would IMO give them a better chance of improving their side rather than relying on one unsettled individual.

Very fair point.

With respect dB, a fantasy football compiler of values is about as relevant as a Graham Speirs tactical analysis piece. What we will offer Hibs is down to our valuations of the player, not some internet site.

I think around £250K for a player untested at any decent level is fair. I certainly wouldnt want to be paying anything like £500K or upwards for a player of that credentials. If the player clearly states to Hibs that he is happy to wait and take his chances that Rangers are still interested either in Jan or next summer, then no matter how Hibs use the media or agents to manipulate the price and claim lots of teams are interested in him, it wont matter if the player refuses to go.

Another thing to be consider is that Hibs are a scumbag of a club, and Petrie one of the main antagonists in our demotion, and in no way should we be offering them a premium price for one of their players when they tried to kill us. If it were up to me I would not offer them a penny for any of their players, ever again. And same goes to Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and our city rivals.

Their words are sure not gospel, but a fairer reflection than what is being paid in England, or wanted by clubs and chairmen. You can obviously take that stuff or leave it be, it was for a reason that I linked their valuations of other clubs. The money they put on Waghorn seems a touch inflated, given what we paid for him and Tavernier. Still, its a former English Chamionship player with a three year contract now and you would expect Rangers will demand at least that amount shold someone happen by in January. BTW, Rangers bids for Allan actually back up the valuation transfermarkt put on his head.

NB: Transfermarkt is no Fantasy Football compiler etc.

Edited by der Berliner

I think around £250K for a player untested at any decent level is fair.

For a hostile purchase, the "fair" price is obviously too low. If you don't want to sell your car and someone offers you say the Parker's price for it, why would you sell? If he offered you 50% more than this fair price then you might have something to think about.

But in this case the fair amount becomes what people are prepared to pay - so *IF* a couple of clubs truly offer say £375k and we offer say £250k, then is it "fair" for them to only receive our amount due to the player only wanting to come to us? Not only that, they get the added insult to injury in that he then comes back to try to help defeat Hibs four times in the season. Looking at it objectively, I personally don't think that sounds fair, and would think the same if the boot was on the other foot.

I certainly wouldnt want to be paying anything like £500K or upwards for a player of that credentials.

I agree, but something like £350k might be more in keeping with how the market seems to size him up.

If the player clearly states to Hibs that he is happy to wait and take his chances that Rangers are still interested either in Jan or next summer, then no matter how Hibs use the media or agents to manipulate the price and claim lots of teams are interested in him, it wont matter if the player refuses to go.

I would be happy with that if we offered what we thought he was truly worth to come a year earlier. I just don't want us to be underhand, I've had enough of that from the likes of Ashley.

Thinking about it, handing in the transfer request lessens his value as he won't get a cut of the fee - we will have to pay him a signing on fee instead. He could negotiate his full share for a team he doesn't want to go to, but not Rangers so actually, we should probably be offering something like 15-20% less anyway.

Another thing to be consider is that Hibs are a scumbag of a club, and Petrie one of the main antagonists in our demotion, and in no way should we be offering them a premium price for one of their players when they tried to kill us. If it were up to me I would not offer them a penny for any of their players, ever again. And same goes to Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and our city rivals.

That's hard to disagree with...

No more crazy than the Arabs were to sell two players to their cup final opponents six weeks before the final. Now that is absolutely barking.

I suppose it depends if you believe Hibs have a realistic chance of beating us to the title. I dont believe they will get within 15 points of us, so I dont see the point of them holding on to a quickly depreciating asset (due to contract running down) that doesnt want to be there, when they could re-invest the money on players who want to be there and who may improve the squad, giving them a better chance of second place and pole position for the play offs.

If it gets to January, we should be signing the boy (if we still want him by then) on a pre-contract, then offering Hibs £75K to take him off their hands early. By that time we should have a very healthy lead in the league and therefore the arguments about not selling to contenders wont hold water. They will look to have been stubborn and stupid in not selling when they had the chance to bring in alternate players and hell mend them, quite frankly.

It's a completely and utterly unreliable source of player transfer values. Clubs will buy and sell at all sorts of prices and a website like Transfermarkt has no real or significant insight into that.

No more crazy than the Arabs were to sell two players to their cup final opponents six weeks before the final. Now that is absolutely barking.

I suppose it depends if you believe Hibs have a realistic chance of beating us to the title. I dont believe they will get within 15 points of us, so I dont see the point of them holding on to a quickly depreciating asset (due to contract running down) that doesnt want to be there, when they could re-invest the money on players who want to be there and who may improve the squad, giving them a better chance of second place and pole position for the play offs.

If it gets to January, we should be signing the boy (if we still want him by then) on a pre-contract, then offering Hibs £75K to take him off their hands early. By that time we should have a very healthy lead in the league and therefore the arguments about not selling to contenders wont hold water. They will look to have been stubborn and stupid in not selling when they had the chance to bring in alternate players and hell mend them, quite frankly.

It's not all about who wins the League, TB.

It's about Hibs getting promotion and the money that brings with it.

Leaving aside the not selling to a contender argument, they will want to give themsleves the best chance of going up via the play-offs if they don't win the league; and if they see Scott Allan as important from that perspective then they will want to keep him. The numbers are fairly straightforward.

If they keep him and go up then they will not look stupid but I agree with the first two sentences of your last paragraph except that, I don't see the need to offer them anything if we get him on a pre contract and we are out in front , surely we just wait to sign him at the end of the season?

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Their words are sure not gospel, but a fairer reflection than what is being paid in England, or wanted by clubs and chairmen. You can obviously take that stuff or leave it be, it was for a reason that I linked their valuations of other clubs. The money they put on Waghorn seems a touch inflated, given what we paid for him and Tavernier. Still, its a former English Chamionship player with a three year contract now and you would expect Rangers will demand at least that amount shold someone happen by in January. BTW, Rangers bids for Allan actually back up the valuation transfermarkt put on his head.

I disagree with the bit in bold dB, no disrespect. Footballers and the transfers of such is virtually the same as selling a house. Worth as much as someone is willing to pay. So transfermarkt can provide a number all they want and base it on whatever criteria they wish, but if a manager really wants a player but meets a stubborn seller then he will undoubtedly have to pay more. The values provided by transfermarkt are a guide, but in most cases they will be wildly off the mark when players do eventually move on.

@RichwilBBC: Rotherham Utd have withdrawn from talks with Hibs about Scott Allan after being informed the player wants to continue his career in Scotland

Looks like the player is coming to us sooner or later. Don't up the offer, sign him in January. Why give money to a club that hates us?