Third Allan bid rejected

He can sign for us in 4 months time, such a short period of time. He just needs to keep his head down and try stay injury free. Playing for Hibs wont do him harm in the long term if he doesn't get a game. They are silly not taking the money when they are going to have a 3rd year in this division :)

I liked what I briefly saw of Allan last season but would prefer a bid to get MacLeod back, wonder if Warb can pull some strings on that one.

Edited by Gribz

I don't think we look very good in that after 3 bids another club has outbid us by a long way. We look like we're strong arming Hibs because the player wants to play for us. That could save us money in the short term, but I've always believed that's not good business practice in the long term, as you get a bad reputation and so people don't want to deal with you.

Long term business is usually about keeping both parties reasonably happy in a transaction. Looking out only for yourself can work for the likes of Sports Direct in maximising income, but I'd rather we weren't that type of business.

If the guy's market value is say £400k then I think our third bid should have been around that - unless we're not really interested in paying for him at all, but as DB is saying, we're just showing him intent that we'll sign him next season on a free - and he'll be compensated by a decent signing on fee.

I don't think we look very good in that after 3 bids another club has outbid us by a long way. We look like we're strong arming Hibs because the player wants to play for us. That could save us money in the short term, but I've always believed that's not good business practice in the long term, as you get a bad reputation and so people don't want to deal with you.

Long term business is usually about keeping both parties reasonably happy in a transaction. Looking out only for yourself can work for the likes of Sports Direct in maximising income, but I'd rather we weren't that type of business.

If the guy's market value is say £400k then I think our third bid should have been around that - unless we're not really interested in paying for him at all, but as DB is saying, we're just showing him intent that we'll sign him next season on a free - and he'll be compensated by a decent signing on fee.

But did they outbid us? Some say no official bid appeared & Rotherham Manager wasn't too chuffed. If the amount did leak, it's not come from them. It would be in Hibs interest to leak the Rotherham offer value (if it actually existed) in an attempt to strong arm US in to paying over the odds for a player we can sign for free in a few months.

Scott Allan's market value is roughly Euro 300k, according to transfermarkt that is. People that do take into account simple things like ... Scottish Championship (i.e. 2nd tier), nearing the end of contract, which club does he play for etc..

You can look at how they value Hibs ... http://www.transfermarkt.de/hibernian-fc/startseite/verein/903 ... and us http://www.transfermarkt.de/glasgow-rangers/startseite/verein/124 ... and make up your own mind whether pounds 400k would be more appropriate.

As another comparison, Arsenal ... http://www.transfermarkt.de/fc-arsenal/startseite/verein/11

Tsd. means thousand, Mio. obviously million.

With respect dB, a fantasy football compiler of values is about as relevant as a Graham Speirs tactical analysis piece. What we will offer Hibs is down to our valuations of the player, not some internet site.

I think around £250K for a player untested at any decent level is fair. I certainly wouldnt want to be paying anything like £500K or upwards for a player of that credentials. If the player clearly states to Hibs that he is happy to wait and take his chances that Rangers are still interested either in Jan or next summer, then no matter how Hibs use the media or agents to manipulate the price and claim lots of teams are interested in him, it wont matter if the player refuses to go.

Another thing to be consider is that Hibs are a scumbag of a club, and Petrie one of the main antagonists in our demotion, and in no way should we be offering them a premium price for one of their players when they tried to kill us. If it were up to me I would not offer them a penny for any of their players, ever again. And same goes to Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and our city rivals.

@RichwilBBC: Rotherham Utd have withdrawn from talks with Hibs about Scott Allan after being informed the player wants to continue his career in Scotland

Also sends a very distinctive message to Hibs too - sell me to Rangers or I will wait out my contract and go for free (assuming we can believe that it is "Rangers and nobody else"). In fairness, if Hibs let Allan go then they effectively admit they wont make the automatic promotion spot, which would send out a very poor signal to their fans. They could lose more money by selling him to us than holding onto him and seeing him sign a pre-contract in December.

Edited by craig

They are hooded either way to be honest , imho you are always better having players commited to your team , Allan is just a distraction they can do without , when it's obvious he's coming to us either way

Also sends a very distinctive message to Hibs too - sell me to Rangers or I will wait out my contract and go for free (assuming we can believe that it is "Rangers and nobody else"). In fairness, if Hibs let Allan go then they effectively admit they wont make the automatic promotion spot, which would send out a very poor signal to their fans. They could lose more money by selling him to us than holding onto him and seeing him sign a pre-contract in December.

If Hibs let him go and by that I mean sell to Rangers and if they opened negotiations I'm sure a fee in the £400k region would be agreed between both parties.

Hibs could then use the money to add 2 or maybe 3 players which would IMO give them a better chance of improving their side rather than relying on one unsettled individual.