Official: Joey Barton signs 2 year deal with Rangers

Just on a side note Mazza,his brother Michael was jailed for life [17 Year] for being involved in a murder in 2005.

So, now we use the whole family history when talking about one person?

Has he done some awful things? Yes. Has he completed his sentences? Yes. Has he proven himself capable of behaving? I would say so. People are allowed to change. The justice system is supposed to be about rehabilitation. It's not all about punishment, but a lot of people forget that.

Editing to add, if you look at the his brothers conviction, Joey Barton appeared to do an awful lot to get him to admit his part in, and help the police.

Also, people can be good and bad. We are not all one or the other. Maybe that's the bleeding heart lib in me that believes the best in people, I don't know, but I won't write him off based on the actions of a family member.

Edited by BlueMazza

Interesting debate. As far as I'm concerned "morality" and football don't mix. Good luck to the club that rides such a high horse. Ultimately if the player can do a job for you on the pitch, that's where it's starts and stops for a manager IMO. Ok, Barton has his fair share of scraps on the pitch. He maybe opens his gob too much but I feel we need to show faith in the manager. He's obviously sanctioned this signing and believes that he can get the best from Barton as a footballer and as experienced pro.

On a side note about high horses and morality in football. Over the last few years I've taken some stick from some mates who are Celtic fans. Some of this stick has come the way of morality, Rangers and football. For example, when Rangers signed with Puma and SD, they were forever telling me about the terrible business practices of SD (indeed true) and how it suited a club like Rangers. I was quick to mention that they were currently sponsored by Nike, a company with a horrible track record in cheap labour and exploitation. Cue silence... Next it was when Rangers got a Betting co. to sponsor them. The moralising started all over about the ills of gambling and how it is wrecking so many lives. Fast forward 1 year or so later and the high and mighty Hoops have a betting firm sponsoring them. Like I said above, high horses and football don't work

Just on a side note Mazza,his brother Michael was jailed for life [17 Year] for being involved in a murder in 2005.

I don't think anyone should be judged on the actions of a family member.

He admits he came from a bad area and followed the ways of the street and admits he was lucky he could play football

He was very instrumental in his brother being arrested for his part in that murder - he very publicly made an appeal for his brother to come forward and had many phone calls with his brother asking him to come forward if he had anything to do with it.

I don't think anyone on here is casting that at him to be fair, merely pointing out what happened. However, don't be surprised when it becomes central to the media, particularly in the build-up to the 1st OF game of next season.

Barton has had a chequered career both on and off the field. However, if you look at his demeanor now, the way he handles himself in interviews and indeed on the pitch then you can tell that he has greatly matured. Again, though, don't be surprised if he gets a red card in an OF game but not because of him being "hot-headed" but moreso the fact that he is so competitive and has an incredible desire to be successful.

On the field he is exactly the type of player we need - one that will take a game by the scruff of the neck, one who will have opponents knowing they have been in a game and one who enhances the quality of our team and squad.

Off the field - despite past indiscretions I have a suspicious feeling that he will actually end up being a mentor to some of our younger players. He is 33 now and has grown up mentally and emotionally significantly in the last few years (particularly since the birth of his son - it does bring a new perspective to life as all us parents know) and I think he will be a calm head exactly when it is needed. The hunger, drive, determination and desire to be successful wont leave him - but I doubt he will be quite so petulant when things don't go his way.

Personally, even at 33, I think we have won a watch getting Barton.

"He who is without sin can cast the first stone"

While I have never stuck a cigarette in someone's eye I have done things I am ashamed of now. I think most people do things they later regret. Sometimes you do not even realise what the consequences of your actions could be.

Even just jumping a red light. Do we ever think what the consequences could be if it caused a serious crash and someone got killed.

There have been Rangers players before who have done things that were not Rangers class and were still accepted.

Barton was 18 when he pushed the cigarette in the guy's eye it was 15 years ago. As for getting sent off I couldn't even think of slating him for that as my record wasn't great either. Frustration is probably the biggest cause of getting sent off. Drink is probably the biggest cause of violence.

Were you a professional footballer Pete? I didn't know that. A poor disciplinary record is usually a sign of a poor professional but to be honest that side of him doesn't worry me, he's a decent footballer I don't think there's any doubt about that.

There's surely a scale on these things, no? I doubt Gavrilo Princip thought millions of people would die following his assassination of Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand, some consequences are unseen. However stubbing a cigar in someone's eye has fairly clear consequences, beating up a fellow player has fairly clear consequences and attacking someone in the street also has fairly clear immediate consequences. I'm not suggesting he shouldn't be allowed to play football ever again, just not with us.

I'm curious as to why you are disappointed that he is signing (not trolling just asking dude). I'll be honest, I was a bit mixed about it myself as I feel it could turn into the "Joey Barton" sideshow and I'm worried that if there is so much spotlight on one individual we might in turn lose our overall focus. I'm sure MW is too shrewd for that to happen. Hopefully he'll ask JB to go easy on Twitter as it's only going to be ammunition for the bams up here (on both sides tbh). As a player, I think he could be great for us. We are young team and sometimes a bit naïve IMO, therefore a wise old head pulling the strings could be a great fit for us. As long as it's all about football. Not Twitter

No problem. I just don't feel someone with his past and his record should be considered for Rangers. The on-field stuff I'm actually relaxed about but his off-field past is too much for me. He is/was a ned, pure and simple and I don't know if I buy the Twitter philosopher reimagining he's got going on now. He'll be a lightening rod here and attract undue attention. He might well have turned over a new leaf, I just would prefer he wasn't a Rangers player.

No, he just had form for battering his missus, but as long as he hadn't been to jail or assaulted a fellow player is that OK? We also signed Gazza whilst this behaviour was ongoing. As far as I'm aware Barton has fulfilled his sentence & altered his ways.

Before joining us? Did he, I don't recall that but you might be right. I know he certainly was reported to have done that when he was with us and we should have kicked him out there and then.

No problem. I just don't feel someone with his past and his record should be considered for Rangers. The on-field stuff I'm actually relaxed about but his off-field past is too much for me. He is/was a ned, pure and simple and I don't know if I buy the Twitter philosopher reimagining he's got going on now. He'll be a lightening rod here and attract undue attention. He might well have turned over a new leaf, I just would prefer he wasn't a Rangers player.

As obviously your prerogative.

What impresses me about Warburton is that he isn't looking at "just" the footballer - he has always maintained that dressing room harmony is very important to him and because of that he looks into the personalities of the players he looks to sign. McParland knows Barton well, Warburton knows Dyche well. You can absolutely guarantee that MW has asked Dyche "Is Barton still a nut job" and, just as much, you can guarantee that if the response was yes then MW would have moved onto a new target.

People within the game, it would seem, think that he has mellowed and matured. Whether he can handle the Glasgow goldfish bowl obviously remains to be seen.