Official: Joey Barton signs 2 year deal with Rangers

Ordinarily I'd agree with John Mc, we're supposed to be that bit better than the rest. But after Saturday, what's the point? In a country where no one ever has to take responsibility for their actions, it's a waste of time even trying to maintain some kind of standard.

Ordinarily I'd agree with John Mc, we're supposed to be that bit better than the rest. But after Saturday, what's the point? In a country where no one ever has to take responsibility for their actions, it's a waste of time even trying to maintain some kind of standard.

I'd argue that we should be setting our own standards and not allow ourselves to be dragged down by others.

However, I find myself in a bit of a quandary in respect of John's views. I have a lot of sympathy with them, as I'm sure most of us do, but we aren't in a position to be choosy. and we would probably be unable to get a player of the same quality if we didn't go for him. In an ideal world, we could say no, but we aren't in one.

So I'm kinda inbetween. Keep up the high standards to an extent, but not be too picky as to players. :hm: Contradictory? At the moment, yes.

I'd argue that we should be setting our own standards and not allow ourselves to be dragged down by others.

If we were adhering to some consistent standard fair enough, but we're not, so there's little point applying one only when it comes to signing players.

I doubt it could be claimed that Joey Barton is any more of a hothead on the pitch than Graeme Souness was and he wasn't just a player he was the manager who got sent off in his very first match for the club for what almost amounted to an assault.

No problem. I just don't feel someone with his past and his record should be considered for Rangers. The on-field stuff I'm actually relaxed about but his off-field past is too much for me. He is/was a ned, pure and simple and I don't know if I buy the Twitter philosopher reimagining he's got going on now. He'll be a lightening rod here and attract undue attention. He might well have turned over a new leaf, I just would prefer he wasn't a Rangers player.

Have you actually watched/listened to the guy over the past few years?

I found this interview very good:

He doesn't hide from his mistakes, but he does seem to have learned from them.

I doubt it could be claimed that Joey Barton is any more of a hothead on the pitch than Graeme Souness was and he wasn't just a player he was the manager who got sent off in his very first match for the club for what almost amounted to an assault.

don't be silly.

Burnley fan on Barton to Rangers, not best pleased:laugh2:

Forgot to say young guy is a bit of a tosser, ham acting. But he does say Barton gave everything for Burnley.

Edited by BEARGER

Have you actually watched/listened to the guy over the past few years?

I found this interview very good:

He doesn't hide from his mistakes, but he does seem to have learned from them.

No he doesn't, and as someone pointed out he was punished and so should be allowed to get on with his life. However, and I accept I seem to be the only person who feels this way, I just don't think he should be a Rangers player. I'm not some Victorian moraliser, far from it, I just think there should be certain standards expected of Rangers players.

Anyway, he's signed now so it doesn't really matter much what I think anyway and if he scores the winner against Celtic I'll be cheering him as loud as anyone.