[FT] Aberdeen 2 - 1 Rangers (Halliday 79 pen)

I admire your optimism DB however do not share it. I simply think we are lacking quality and are unable to deviate from our one game plan. I hope I am wrong, but I have watched for weeks coming to an overall opinion on it. We are not good enough, we have recruited average players at best, paid way over the odds for Garner who I feel is not up to the standard and MW feels obligated to play him due to the 1.8m price tag. Kranjar and Barton have been discussed at length, we bench MOH constantly so the only recruits who play from the start on a regular basis at the moment are Hill and eh Hill, and even he isn't really a regular. The rest are squad players so we essentially are left with the same team as last year.

That side is not good enough to challenge, I am not debating the rights or wrongs of it, maybe we are not entitled to challenge, however we do not have the quality or the mental strength to challenge at the top of the league and we will do very well to challenge for a European spot. At the moment we are not looking like making the top six? I know some are ok with that, and like yourself DB are content with the learning curve we are on. I can't say I'm happy with it, it is what it is, what can't be denied is that we have the second highest wage bill in the league and we have recruited average players.

I sincerely hope I am wrong and MW turns it around, at the moment I would be very happy with just making Europe, I can't see us challenging any higher with the players we have.

Well, I try to stay as realistic as one can be. I doubt that I gave any prediction of how this season might end, because of the simple reason that not only had we got 11 new players, but also teams of "Premiership" quality set up against us. They essentially had half a year to check out how we play and frustrate us doing that. Those with inferior squads did exactly that, employing the same tactics that helped the Championship teams getting points off us. Now, we didn't get an allround talent like Messi to get us through everything, break defences with ease et al. Before the Ross County game, we switched line ups for one reason or another far too much. These last three games, we have started to build a more settled line up, which is rather frustrating, as it is nearing the end of September. That process has taken far too long IMHO, but there is not much what you can do. Likewise, you have people to click too, take up responsibility and play at 100%. Perhaps we won't get much more out of the current crop and have to live with that? We'll only know at the end of the season where this will lead us. At this moment and time, I'm rather optimistic that we will avoid the drop. And that the January window will see some more quality arrive.

Ask if we can progress any further than we have before suggesting that we've regressed.

Claim we are still learning to break down 'brickwallers' despite the fact we have been coming up against defensive opposition for quite some time.

Much of the rest is just empty waffling.

Don't react to my wisdom, share yours. For you sure have some ideas about how we are doing, and why.

We'll need to get it sorted out quickly Craig or we'll be in a relegation battle never mind challenging for top six... at the bottom of the league right now Accies are leading ST Johnstone 1-0.

I agree it needs sorted and have faith it will.

I have zero fears about relegation. IMHO that is scare mongering

Remember.... I'm always right :roflmao:

Seriously though. I could be wrong but I also believe that this season is one of adjusting to being back in the top flight. I was hopeful we could challenge for the league but realistic enough to know this season may be too early.

Next season is where I will personally judge MW. Need to remember that this pre-season he released and signed a full team again.

Having had a season in the SPL next season I expect him to recruit players who will strengthen us and challenge for the title. That said, we also need to be cognizant that Celtic can still spend more on one player than we can on our whole squad. And with CL money that isn't changing for next season, unless we get significant investment in the playing squad

think i am a realist. Our best performance of the season we drew and in our second best performance(today) we got beat. Do i think we can perform much better than today? No. Not on average, in a single game yeah but not with consistency, game here or there luck will play a part and we will get a win but that swings both ways.

Keep in mind can is different than should!

We just don't have the depth in goals , set plays or defence to massively change our performances right now. We are going to miss more chances than we convert and we are going to keep slipping goals.

The way i see it MW didn't buy many goals he bought chances with the belief if you create chances you get goals but it doesnt work that way. You need to create and take. The balance is way off and until rectified we will struggle.

The defence can always do better but with the way we play we will never be a strong defensive side and that is fine as long as we are a strong attacking team. Right now we are a strong possession team and that's it.

Think the main target now has to be to stay in touching distance of second until January where we will need to spend money if we want to secure that spot. Will we spend? who knows.

If MW thinks todays performance was fantastic and of a level that will win the majority of games in Scotland then he is wrong. They're is tougher challenges ahead this season than faced so far. Wait until the winter it will only get harder. This should be our strong period when we can get the ball down and play.

Edited by trublusince1982

The frustration for me is much like the game with THEM and again today i fell playing the 4-3-3 at home or once you take a grip of the game is fine but i'd prefer to play 4-4-2 think we need out forwards closer together to put pressure on the opposition defence.

Far too slow in the attack, don't get the ball in the box quickly enough to hurt teams.

Another point is we need to stop chopping n changing the starting 11 til we get back on track, it's getting so disappointing building up to games thinking this is the turning point to be left frustrated that we look toothless in attack.

I hope we can sort it and also the gaffer sees the system has to change dependent on the opposition each week.