Well who's next

While initially surprised, I'm starting to think again about Muscat. I had no idea he had such a bad reputation as a player? He was recently named dirtiest ever player in a Spanish paper and had to pay out a few fines in his time for some bad tackles. I like the sound of him.

He's thought of very highly in Australia -- winning a domestic double in his first season, his team scoring more goals than anyone else by some distance -- and an interesting tactical coach, apparently. I read that he had "studied Brendan Rodgers at close quarters during a tour of Europe where he went to various training grounds to watch the most forward-thinking and innovative coaches at work" -- not sure what to think of that?!

He says, "'My thirst for knowledge is great. I went over to spend time with Brendan Rodgers, Frank de Boer at Ajax and Barcelona to gather knowledge and try and create my own philosophy.

'I won't shy away from my team being competitive, ultimately football is a contest, but I place high importance on possession. Using the ball wisely is the key but we like to attack quickly, a lot of goals are created in transition in the modern game.

'I was lucky enough to work with Terry Venables with the Australian national team. He was ahead of his time, how he structured the team and his man-management. It is one thing to have a great philosophy but to get the players to apply it, that is the hardest thing."

Now, his Melbourne Victory team have "gained a reputation as standard-bearers for Australia's emerging football market. They play attractive, bright football."

You can argue that the Australian league is of a poor standard, but they look to have better players than us! Muscat sounds like a really interesting option; young, has a distinct philosophy and appears to want to better himself -- he shouldn't cost too much, surely? I suppose though it depends how much of a backwater the league is, and if he can make the change.