Europa League Draw: Rangers / Progrès Niederkorn v AEL Limassol / St Joseph's

As is your prerogative BH.

And we will most definitely have to agree to disagree if you believe that your travel plans, which YOU made knowing full well that until confirmed these fixtures are subject to change, should form any level of prioritization with the CEO of a Club trying to rebuild itself and make itself competitive as an entity once again.

Only my opinion, but your sense of self importance is startling at times. If Stewart Robertson spends all his time dealing with the type of matters you have raised then he will have virtually no time to deal with any of the bigger issues.

I would imagine that in your role previously as an IFA, if you found a CEO dealing with such trivial matters - by trivial I don't mean in the eye of the customer (supporter in your case) but trivial from a CEO's perspective - then I would actually like to think that you would think twice about recommending them as an investment - a CEO dealing with these trivial matters isn't fully focusing on the strategic issues of the entity, which is his job. The Club has other departments that could, and should, deal with these issues. It isn't the CEO's job.

You are 100% reaching when you say it may affect 10,000 fans. There is absolutely no way 10,000 fans (or even close to it) booked their flights as soon as the draw was made. Indeed, if they have, then we have a number of people who are naïve - you are acting as if we have never been in Europe before - we KNOW that until confirmed these dates can change. You tried to get a jump on flights and pricing and it came back and bit you. Harsh as it sounds, it really isn't anyone's fault but your own BH - and to then take the issue to the CEO of the Club ???

I don't see an issue taking it to the Club, but the CEO ???

You love a wee name drop - I suspect that if he reads your email he will be dumbfounded at having received it. He may respond, but not because he thinks he should.

Craig, yes happy to agree to disagree.

I already said I knew I was taking a calculated risk but I don't agree it's trivial at all, because it certainly involves thousands of potential travelling fans. We took 8,500 to Leipzig for a friendly in the middle of winter, who's to say we can't fill the Stade Josy Barthel.

Judging by what I've read elsewhere, a fair number did the same as me.

You are, IMHO, wrong with all 3 counts. Unless, of course, you are suggesting that SR is the only person at Rangers that is allowed to speak to UEFA.

Taking each item :

1. You could have voiced your displeasure to plenty of people within Ibrox, as Frankie said, notably the SLO. And/or relaying to UEFA is not the CEO's decision alone or at least shouldn't be. Such things can be delegated and, something such as travel plans, should be. It really isn't a CEO issue, regardless of how you try to mask it as such

2, Requesting a fixture resolution ASAP also does not need to be a CEO role. Indeed, one would think that there should be a role within the Club that deals with fixture scheduling, both domestic and European, and that it isn't the CEO's function to do so.

3. Read 2 above.

To suggest that these MUST be CEO functions makes little sense to me. If you are right then we need to have root and branch change to our corporate governance procedures and delegations of authority procedures and documentation. If these are CEO functions then we have an inefficient CEO role. His role is to deal with the strategic, important issues. Not a handful of travel concerns from impatient supporters who booked their flights as soon as fixtures were announced, knowing full well they could be subject to change.

However, given you believe that this really is a CEO's function you and I will agree to disagree. If you cant see what is staring you in the face then I sure as hell can't help you see it.

I look forward to Stewart Robertson having to deal with complaints about a broken TV in the Copland rear, a bookies not paying out on a bet in the concourse and, of course, the inevitable cold pie at Ibrox. No need to concern yourself about increasing and enhancing revenue streams Stewart, no need to concern yourself about making us more competitive on the field of play, no need to improve the state of Ibrox, no need to concern yourself with the infrastructure of the club - just get those travel plans sorted and you will have fulfilled your role well.

We agree to disagree.

Reply from SR

Dear Alan

Thank you for your e-mail of earlier today.

I fully understand your frustration, however the Club communicated with fans as soon as it became apparent that there was a potential issue with the away leg of the fixture. The issue has nothing to do with Rangers and is currently being resolved between Progres Niederkorn and UEFA and is due to circumstances in Luxembourg.

As things stand, it looks as though the match will be played on Tuesday 4 July but with the kick off time still to be confirmed.

As I said, the Club notified fans immediately we were made aware that there may be a change to the date and whilst I appreciate how you must feel, the matter is completely outwith the control of anyone at Rangers.

Best regards.

Stewart

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Craig, yes happy to agree to disagree.

I already said I knew I was taking a calculated risk but I don't agree it's trivial at all, because it certainly involves thousands of potential travelling fans. We took 8,500 to Leipzig for a friendly in the middle of winter, who's to say we can't fill the Stade Josy Barthel.

Judging by what I've read elsewhere, a fair number did the same as me.

Those making those plans should have waited IMHO. We know that European fixtures, until confirmed, are subject to change.

Regardless - taking your issue to the CEO is silly, IMHO again. It isn't a "CEO-level" concern.

I think you are playing wordsmith too.... there is a difference between "involves thousands of potential travelling fans" and "potentially involving thousands of travelling fans". Either way, I am still of the belief that these things shouldn't be booked until confirmed. Yes, it was a calculated risk, one that didn't work out for you.

My issue isn't with people taking the calculated risk. My issue is with someone thinking this issue is so important as to raise it to the CEO level. It isn't.

Those are my last words on the subject. I'm still dumbfounded that anyone would believe this is an issue for the CEO of an institution trying to recover from being battered from pillar to post over 5 years. If this is a CEO issue then we must not have any really pressing corporate issues at all. Everything must be rosy....

Reply from SR

Dear Alan

Thank you for your e-mail of earlier today.

I fully understand your frustration, however the Club communicated with fans as soon as it became apparent that there was a potential issue with the away leg of the fixture. The issue has nothing to do with Rangers and is currently being resolved between Progres Niederkorn and UEFA and is due to circumstances in Luxembourg.

As things stand, it looks as though the match will be played on Tuesday 4 July but with the kick off time still to be confirmed.

As I said, the Club notified fans immediately we were made aware that there may be a change to the date and whilst I appreciate how you must feel, the matter is completely outwith the control of anyone at Rangers.

Best regards.

Stewart

I'm sure he was more than happy to reply, taking him away from less important matters such as running the Club :rolleyes:

Reply from GM

Hi Alan,

The dates for the fixtures are to be announced imminently. Apologies for the delay but it was out with Rangers’ control.

Warnings about booking before the fixtures where (sic) confirmed where (sic) on the Rangers website prior to the draw being made. In the future I would recommend to all supporters not to book anything until the date and venue of any fixtures has been confirmed!

Hope you are able to sort any issues.

Thanks

Greg

Edited by BrahimHemdani

After almost six years on since Gers’ last competitive European outing, continental football returns to Ibrox this season with the home leg against Niederkorn being played on Thursday, June 29 at 7.45pm.

The Stade Josy Barthel (National Stadium of Luxembourg) will then host the second leg on Tuesday, July 4 with a kick-off time still to be confirmed. UEFA have intimated that the kick-off will be prior to 1800hrs (CET) and this will be confirmed by Friday at the latest.

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/europa-league-dates-confirmed/

Prior to 18.00 CET? That is strange.