No quality, no bottle, no Progrès - Should the manager be sacked?

The doom and gloom is becoming depressing,Europe has gone so we must now concentrate on what's ahead and give Pedro our support and backing,remembering the players are responsible for what happens after the first whistle.

The doom and gloom is becoming depressing,Europe has gone so we must now concentrate on what's ahead and give Pedro our support and backing,remembering the players are responsible for what happens after the first whistle.

To an extent. The manager also sets them out in a certain formation and with certain tactics. Players aren't at liberty to take those matters into their own hands or they would be seen as being disruptive. So the players are responsible for their performance, yes. But if the tactics they are tasked to carry out are inferior then the manager still should, rightly so, shoulder responsibility for performance too.

we were on the M1 turn off at Bletchley......we'd hitched down for a pre season friendly with Tottenham (we got gubbed of course) and spent 3 nights rough in Euston station (you could do that in them days...1967 or '68..)

it was next day early doors and we'd got dropped off. Pishing down, we sheltered under the motorway bridge

Alex started clappin', I gave it the sash, then we shuffled the gallus walk under the tunnel breaking into the Billy Boys

our spirits soared ........

and we got a lift to the A5 that took us cross country to the M6 then up the road no problemo

the lesson endeth here

The team that was trashed at home started with Wilson (24), Beerman (just turned 18), Hyndman (just turned 20), Holt (just turned 22), Windass (22), and Dodoo (21).

MW and injuries left us with a depleted squad, so we had to use what was left. Tav and Waghorn weren't at the races for the best part of the season, the "well-experienced" Holt was asked to do the donkey work in midfield to cover the more creative players and so on. That was what PC had to deal with. As I said above, bar Foderingham and the two senior full-backs, hardly anyone of last season will be a first choice starter. So how on Earth can someone say this side will fail under PC again? You simply haven't seen them kick a ball thus far.

Warburton is a dumpling and so is pedro,end of.

we were on the M1 turn off at Bletchley......we'd hitched down for a pre season friendly with Tottenham (we got gubbed of course) and spent 3 nights rough in Euston station (you could do that in them days...1967 or '68..)

it was next day early doors and we'd got dropped off. Pishing down, we sheltered under the motorway bridge

Alex started clappin', I gave it the sash, then we shuffled the gallus walk under the tunnel breaking into the Billy Boys

our spirits soared ........

and we got a lift to the A5 that took us cross country to the M6 then up the road no problemo

the lesson endeth here

the real way to follow on

none of this £5 travel voucher for muffins :laugh:

Warburton is a dumpling and so is pedro,end of.

I don't know if you post on other forums and are perhaps therefore confused. What sets this forum apart is that it's contributors normally debate and disagree by stating opinions, backed up by some substance. You seem to think it's of interest for us to read your odd, glib, and nonsensical statements. It's not, but I'm sure you have opinions that can be substantiated in some way and I'd like to hear them. So, let's have a bit more of a contribution from you. What do you think of PC's signings? What do you think our objective should be for the rest of the season? Over to you .....

Can I ask, and I will give you 2 in Jock Wallace and Dino Zoff, how many goalkeepers have made good managers?

Goalkeepers are a special breed so perhaps it's unsurprising that few become decent managers. I think Shilton managed somewhere although I can't think if he was any good. I guess not. And Nigel Adkins too, but he was somewhat of a failure too was he not. I can't think of any others but there must be some.

"Why are goalkeepers so rarely effective managers? Which ex-keeper has the best management record ever?" muses Mike Shearing.

It's partly a numbers game. With ten outfield players to every keeper, there's a far smaller pool of potential candidates. It's also worth bearing in mind that keepers tend to have longer playing careers. In England alone, John Burridge, Steve Ogrizovic, Neville Southall and Dave Beasant have all made top-flight appearances after the age of 40.

The most successful keeper-manager ever is surely the late Raymond Goethals. Born in Brussels in 1921, Goethals enjoyed a modest playing career between the sticks for minor Belgian clubs Daring and Racing de Bruxelles. However, as Xavier Lizin points out, there is nothing modest about his coaching CV. In 1993, Goethals guided Marseilles to victory in the Champions League final against a Milan side that included Marco van Basten, Franco Baresi and Frank Rijkaard.

It was the crowning moment of Goethal's managerial career. As coach of Belgium, he had led his country to the 1970 World Cup n Mexico, the first time they had qualified for 16 years, and also to a third-place finish in the 1972 European Championships. He reached two consecutive European Cup Winners' Cup finals with Anderlecht, winning the trophy in 1978, and also tasted domestic league and cup success with Standard Liege. His career as Marseilles manager, meanwhile, included three successive league titles and, two years before the historic win over Milan, a European Cup final defeat to Red Star Belgrade.

A respectful nod also goes to former United States manager Bruce Arena. While Arena's greatest claim to fame as a player is a solitary appearance in the US goal for a 2-0 loss to Israel in 1973, his accomplishments as a coach are considerable. His DC United side not only won the first two MLS championships and the 1998 CONCACAF Champions Cup but beat Brazilian side Vasco da Gama over two legs to win the Interamerican Cup. In 2002 Arena also led America to the last eight of the World Cup while, in April 2006, the US achieved a best-ever Fifa world ranking of fourth.

Dino Zoff is worth a mention too. After captaining Italy to the 1982 World Cup, aged 40, Zoff turned to management, leading Juventus to the Uefa Cup and taking Italy to within a whisker of victory at Euro 2000, only for France to overturn a 1-0 deficit with seconds remaining, a result that prompted his resignation a few days later. Still, not bad for a goalie.

I don't know if you post on other forums and are perhaps therefore confused. What sets this forum apart is that it's contributors normally debate and disagree by stating opinions, backed up by some substance. You seem to think it's of interest for us to read your odd, glib, and nonsensical statements. It's not, but I'm sure you have opinions that can be substantiated in some way and I'd like to hear them. So, let's have a bit more of a contribution from you. What do you think of PC's signings? What do you think our objective should be for the rest of the season? Over to you .....

I was raised with a different Rangers,that Rangers has long gone thanks to murray and his lackeys,all we have now is hope rather than expectations.