Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

They were already humiliated when we took their captain. Regardless of what's actually happening Milne would always say that to allow the sheep grunts the chance to bleat yeah tell them where to go. Then another statement is released saying due to differences of opinion blah blah it's become impractical to keep McInnes and both parties have mutually decided to part ways and Milne gets to blame it all on Rangers and McInnes.

RANGERS will meet the compensation fee required to land Derek McInnes as their new boss.

The 46-year-old has been identified as the man the Ibrox board want to succeed Pedro Caixinha in the dugout. But Aberdeen last night rejected a request from Rangers to speak to their former midfielder about a return to the club.

A Dons statement read: “Aberdeen Football Club has announced this evening that Rangers have contacted the Club asking for permission to speak to Derek McInnes and that permission has been refused.”

It is almost six weeks since Caixinha was sacked after a poor start to the campaign but Rangers are now keen to appoint his successor sooner rather than later. And a deal for McInnes remains on the cards despite the Dons rebuffing an approach for his services.

Rangers are aware that a package of just under £1million will be needed to secure McInnes and assistant Tony Docherty and have made it clear to Pittodrie chiefs that they are willing to meet the financial demands.

It is understood that the Gers opted to do the honourable thing and wait until after the Premiership double-header with Aberdeen last week before making an official approach for the Reds boss.

And the risk paid off as interim manager Graeme Murty led his side to a 3-0 win at Ibrox and 2-1 success at Pittodrie as the Light Blues climbed to second place in the Premiership.

Speaking after the match on Sunday, McInnes stated he was ‘not happy with how things have been played out’ following several weeks of talk about his future. Pittodrie chief Stewart Milne claimed last month that his manager had 'no intention of going anywhere' amid talk of interest from Rangers and West Bromwich Albion.

But Rangers have now tested the Dons' resolve after making a formal move to make McInnes their new boss.

Chairman Dave King provided an update to supporters at the Annual General Meeting last Thursday and vowed that the next man at the helm would be given funds to strengthen his squad in the January transfer window.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/15703634.Rangers_will_meet_Aberdeen__39_s_compensation_demands_for_boss_Derek_McInnes/

McInnes was always going to be the most likely candidate and it's still probable he'll join us.

I'm not convinced about the way the board have went about this but hopefully we'll find out more about the process when the manager is secured.

I'm sure we could all point to person A, B or C who we'd personally prefer but I'd argue McInnes represents least risk - even after considering the compensation we'll have to pay. With a better budget, we and the board just have to hope he performs better too. Ultimately, we don't have tens of millions to interest an Advocaat so a Moyes or Allardyce was never likely because of that. McInnes knows the Scottish game inside out and we can only hope his use of players and tactics improves with more money.

Edited by Frankie

We're in second place and if we hadn't lost those two games would only be a point off first. I don't think we necessarily have a bad squad, in fact I think its improved a lot over the last while in terms of quality, but clearly its not going to challenge Celtic's. I think if McInnes can sort out the underlying issues with confidence, stamp out the silly mistakes and make us a bit harder to beat, we're then in a position to put the last few years behind us and kick on. I only say that because under the last two men, there's been worrying trends on the park which never seem to get addressed and i'm really hoping someone like McInnes can finally sort them out.

Edited by ascender