Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

HOME/ABERDEEN FC/LATEST DONS NEWS/

Derek McInnes to STAY as Aberdeen manager – reports

Derek McInnes.

Derek McInnes will STAY as Aberdeen manager, according to reports.

After six weeks of speculation, Rangers had an initial request to speak to the 46-year-old rejected by Pittodrie chairman Stewart Milne on Tuesday, and McInnes had been locked in talks with Milne about his future throughout Wednesday and today.

McInnes and assistant Tony Docherty were contracted to Pittodrie until 2020, and it was reported it would take around £1 million for the Light Blues to secure the pair.

Under-20s coach Paul Sheerin will be in interim charge of the Dons for their Premiership encounter with Dundee at Dens Park tomorrow evening, after leading training with coach Barry Robson for the last two days.

Edited by BEARGER

Well f*ck me.

Presumably we know before approaching Aberdeen formally whether or not he was interested as that's how these things work. Who knows what's happened in the last 24 hours or so.

Plan Z it is..... I can only imagine this is going to be the return of Big Eck or something.

Oh, I can see quite a few lovely barrels aimed at "the Board" for "this mess".

As far as I am concerned, we stopped our search roundabout the 17th. The candidates were limited to 3 or 4 and McInnes identified as one of those. As one report suggested, we did the honorable thing and let the Aberdeen double-header get out of the way before making any sort of contact with Aberdeen. This has now happened and Aberdeen set some non-amicable obstacles (money up front) and thus far, no deal has been done. Whether he will stay their manager much longer remains to be seen. Another day or three won't make this search any better or worse. It was Murty for the weekend anyway ... and we kept some hard cash in the bank.

Rangers target Derek McInnes to remain as Aberdeen boss

STV understands the Dons manager will not replace Pedro Caixinha at Ibrox.

Derek McInnes will remain as Aberdeen boss and will not be joining Rangers, STV understands.

Along with his assistant Tony Docherty, McInnes missed training on Wednesday and Thursday as he entered talks with Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne.

The Dons boss was Rangers' first choice to replace Pedro Caixinha, who was sacked on October 26, but an initial approach to speak to him was rejected by Aberdeen on Tuesday evening.

As it stands McInnes will now remain in charge of Aberdeen for their Scottish Premiership clash with Dundee on Friday evening.

Rangers' first request to speak to McInnes came after beating Aberdeen twice in back-to-back Premiership fixtures with the Ibrox side under the temporary stewardship of under-20s coach Graeme Murty.

Following the second defeat, a 2-1 loss at Pittodrie, McInnes made clear his frustration at the links with Rangers, saying the speculation had "dragged on and on".

He had previously endorsed the comments of Milne, who had said that the manager was happy in his current role and was "going nowhere".

Rangers chairman Dave King told his club's AGM that candidates for the job included managers under contract at other clubs.

He later said knowledge of the UK and Scottish game was a key requirement.

That intensified talk of an approach for McInnes, who played for Rangers between 1995 and 2000.

The 46-year-old, who previously managed St Johnstone and Bristol City, has seen his stock rise since succeeding Craig Brown at Aberdeen in 2014.

He won the League Cup in 2014 and has led the Dons to the runners-up spot in the Premiership in the last three seasons.

His achievements in the north east drew the attention of Sunderland in the summer but, after Aberdeen allowed him to hold talks with the Wearside club, McInnes decided against a move.

He signed a new contract at Pittodrie shortly after.

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1403962-rangers-target-derek-mcinnes-to-remain-as-aberdeen-boss/

BUSINESS AS USUAL AS MANAGEMENT TEAM ELECT TO STAY

December 7, 2017 5:55 pm Author: AFC Media Team

Following weeks of speculation, Aberdeen Football Club can confirm that the management team of Derek McInnes and Tony Docherty will be remaining at Pittodrie.

Commenting on the decision Chairman Stewart Milne said, “As everyone is aware, Rangers made an approach on Tuesday evening and they were refused permission to speak with Derek.

“I spoke with Derek who felt it was a major thing to be considered for the managerial position at a club such as Rangers and we agreed that he could have some time to think about the approach and talk it through with his family.

“Over the past 48 hours, I have been in constant dialogue with Derek and having weighed up the opportunity, he has taken the decision to remain as Aberdeen FC manager. Derek has also been maintaining close contact with Paul Sheerin ahead of tomorrow’s game at Dundee.

“Derek appreciates all that he has at this Club and feels he wants to keep driving the Club forward. This is where he wants to be and he feels he very much has unfinished business with Aberdeen FC.

“I personally am delighted that Derek has decided to remain with the Club and everyone looks forward to putting the speculation of the past few weeks behind us and concentrating on matters on the park starting at Dens tomorrow evening.”

Derek added, “I’ve had a lot to consider over the last couple of days and I appreciate it’s been a testing time for everyone, including my family, and I’m pleased to be now totally focusing on purely on on-the-field matters.”

During his time at the club, Derek McInnes has won the League Cup in 2014, the Dons’ first major honour for 19 years. Aberdeen also reached the final of both cups last season, and were beaten in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup in 2014 and League Cup in 2015. In the League, the manager has steered the Club to second place in each of the past three seasons and into Europe for the past four.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2017/12/07/business-usual-management-team-elect-stay/