The January Transfer Window Rumours and Deals Thread

RANGERS are plotting a £1.2million January swoop for Brighton’s ex-Motherwell striker Jamie Murphy.

Ibrox director of football Mark Allen is putting together a list of signing targets.

SunSport understands Murphy, 28, is high on that list.

The former Scotland Under-21 ace left Well for Sheffield United in 2013 before joining Brighton two years ago but has struggled for top-team action and is eager to move on.

A loan deal is a possibility but it is believed Allen is pushing to sign Murphy on a permanent contract.

Would be a great signing. We should never have let him go south.

Whilst I don't doubt Murphy would be a decent signing, aren't there other positions of greater priority needing strengthened such as MF and, if Alves leaves, CB?

Currently, we've got Cardoso, Wilson, McCrorie and Bates, the latter two high on Murty's list, and Wilson has played good enough to be an instant pick. That is four players, Alves aside, for two slots. IMHO, it is more the play before the defence that causes us problems.

Murphy is a left-sided attacker, so exactly what we are lacking. Whether he is still "any good" remains to be seen.

Edited by der Berliner

We should be scooping up the cream of the crop at this level. I see the influence of the DoF in this strategy, if the article is to be believed -- not a guarantee.

Crivvens, it's from The Sunday Post, Jean Jacques, the source of all wisdom in Angus, and as far as Kincardine.

Currently, we've got Cardoso, Wilson, McCrorie and Bates, the latter two high on Murty's list, and Wilson has played good enough to be an instant pick. That is four players, Alves aside, for two slots. IMHO, it is more the play before the defence that causes us problems.

Murphy is a left-sided attacker, so exactly what we are lacking. Whether he is still "any good" remains to be seen.

Wilson's contract is up at the end of the season and we don't seem to be busting a gut to give him a new one.

I don't think Cardoso & Bates are of the standard we require.

Edited by RANGERRAB

Snatched from FF ...

It's being reported this morning that Chris Hughton has said Jamie Murphy is not going anywhere at the moment.

Hughton told the Argus: “No. At this moment, if I am looking at the options I have in the wide areas, it’s been unfortunate for Jamie. Because we’ve had no injuries in that area.

“He is still very much part of our plans. It only takes a lack of form, an injury or a couple of injuries and then he is very much back in the squad.”

Murphy is contracted at the Amex until the summer of 2019.