Pacific Quay Musings?

Safe to say the suspicion of bias isn’t down to total paranoia (although there is a fair bit of that with all footie fans). The trouble as I understand is that the rewards are so high for individuals that professionalism has suffered and a desire to please reaps rich rewards. Guys like Richard Gordon are consummate professionals except with regard to Rangers. Him declaring he is from a ‘Rangers hating family’ on the airwave of a public broadcaster paid for in no small part by Rangers fans can only be explained by the deep rooted culture of dislike that currently exists in the BBC and a desire to please. There has always been folk who disliked Rangers particularly the sectarian employment policy we once had and Archie himself was rightly not slow to criticise us for that but despite us correctly changing that policy it has perversely gone to a more open acceptance of a dislike for us because of individuals in certain positions and the culture that has grown in that organisation. 

Post 2012 BBC employees and self employed contributors many of whom openly dislike Rangers are getting at Rangers because in their view they are doing what the SFA failed to do i.e. remove our club. This is their way of marginalising us and doing what they thought the football authorities should have done. Not for them the opinions of legal authorities and clearly stated rules of the SFA and SPL (SPFL) The series of almost defamatory pieces on Ally McCoist, the blatant bias of their reports from Easter Road and Ibrox, the imagery of decay which went with the original Daly piece on 2012, the ignoring or minimalising of Rangers on reports despite attendances of 50,000 are due in large part because you have an emboldened staff in an organisation that is biased at the top and wants to please the people who pay them. It is professional suicide to be pro-Rangers in the BBC but it’s OK to be pro any other club. Odd when we are the biggest club in the country but not so odd if you think about where the power in BBC Scotland lies and who holds that power. 

Steven Thompson has been drinking the BBC Kool Aid.

After viewing the Alves tackle he says "Scott Brown would have been sent off for that." WTF. What's it to do with Scott Brown.

Brown has been sent off 2 times in 7 years domestically. What is this fixation that Scott Brown is hard done by?

25 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

After viewing the Alves tackle he says "Scott Brown would have been sent off for that." WTF. What's it to do with Scott Brown.

Brown has been sent off 2 times in 7 years domestically. What is this fixation that Scott Brown is hard done by?

It seems as though too many pundits feel the need to further controversy.

It's a sort of 'cheap tabloid punditry' that pretends to cater to demand and look after their own (self) employmed position.

--------------------

One of the reasons it's done is to wind us up and have us react, ie. clickbait.

As for BBC Scotland, I think they are too far gone down a particular road to reasonably hope for any kind of balanced coverage.

Generally, the influence Celtic have and enjoy via many of those who are employed by the national broadcaster is understated in it's importance and I don't think we have put ourselves in the best of positions to 'fight it'.

Edited by buster.

5 hours ago, Bluedell said:

That's simply because that tackle on Brown (rather than any by him) was still in the minds of the people. Brown has the freedom of Scotland, and has had that for years. Even if he does get a read card, a very valid red card, it gets appealed and rescinded so he can play against us. Over at Ibrox, we have a player who has hardly been booked before sent of 4 times (twice rescinded because it simply weren't red cards at all - as opposed to Brown's two-footed jump at the Stags player back then) and wrecked without any sort of repercussion.

It is utterly surreal what goes on in Scotland and if you'd draw a list of this season alone and make a movie of it, people would send you to the loony bin because of your paranoia and phantasies.

The Monday sportsound (pod link below) was an extensive follow-up on Rodgers public request for the Celtic v Rangers game to be played in the first group of fixtures post-split.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p063syd1

Coincidently it was Chris McLaughlin who did thge post-match interview with Rodgers on Sunday who was leading the charge on the Monday night show to help push the Rodgers line. He was joined by other pundits who supported the view and they all pretty much rounded on the ex-polisman, who was against it.

There is no doubt that when Celtic want/need to control the BBC Scotland narrative, they'll mostly get their wish and McLaughlin, the man at the centre of the conflict between us and BBC Scotland, bends the other way when on the other side of Glasgow.

33 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

McLaughlin is a very ugly person. 

He has been a strategically placed thorn in the side of our club for some years now.

Toxic Jack used him extensively during the sp1v years. Not only feeding him 'stories' but getting a 'service' that often included McLaughlin weighing in with an opininated slant to suit after info had been divulged. 

This service wasn't exclusive to McLaughlin because Lamont occasionally did the same, eg. Monday night prior to the 2013 AGM being the most notable one that I can remember. Lamont had been leaked 'the results' to date wrt the AGM and stood up and basically said it was a waste of time to go and protest against the sp1vs....ie. it was Irvine trying to dampen the enthusiasm of many supporters/shareholders to protest at the AGM.

I remember when Jim Traynor was still broadcasting at BBC Scotland, it was a Saturday evening and Chris McLaughlin had defended a Neil Lennon indefensible. Traynor let him say his piece, then countered, "we should be aware that Chris McLaughlin is a shill for Celtic football club".

3 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

I remember when Jim Traynor was still broadcasting at BBC Scotland, it was a Saturday evening and Chris McLaughlin had defended a Neil Lennon indefensible. Traynor let him say his piece, then countered, "we should be aware that Chris McLaughlin is a shill for Celtic football club".

Wasn't it Jim Traynor that had McLaughlin literally shown the Ibrox door one Saturday afternoon ?

I ask because I'm not sure if my memory is strictly accurate on this.