Pacific Quay Musings?

15 minutes ago, buster. said:

We did something similar on here to the above quote (text, not a graphic) and low and behold, BBC Scotland actually changed the wording of their article.

I didn’t see that but the wording is n that article by McLaughlin remains the same, are you thinking of another incident?

1 hour ago, buster. said:

I didn't say it did.

IMO Tom English has proved himself to be biased 'as charged', especially over the last 7 years.

That doesn't mean everything he writes or says should automatically be taken that way, even if within there is an apparently negative slant on X or Y. Of occasion, the negative slant will be merited, on others not so.

What actually happens if you try to pin everything on him, he is given an 'out'. In other words, if you want to go after him (or whoever), only do so when you are sure of your ground and he has no credible comeback. Only use issues  with little to no dubiety over a 'reasonable verdict'.

In this particular case, it isn't something to put on the metaphorical charge sheet. It's more something to log and file away as it might provide useful further down the line.

eg. This thread is an excellent resource wrt the 'ongoing situation' with BBC Scotland and keeps a record of what has gone down, including this article. .........You could have a sub-thread or simply a C&P file, logging events or whatever against programmes/individuals/other which could make a 'charge sheet'...... Then you have a very useful tool.

Some may point out this is the third gambling related commentary he has made regarding Rangers players, the previous ones being Black & Barton.

He has yet to highlight Griffiths' gambling problems & debts which caused him to be banned from several establishments.

Given those facts I dont think he has a credible comeback

On 09/05/2018 at 09:11, buster. said:

From the Aberdeen 1-1 Rangers game where Aberdeens goal came from a penalty that wasn't.

What the match reports said

------------------

First Chris McLaughlin of BBC Scotland 

On a rare foray forward, McLean was caught late inside the box by Morelos and referee Steven McLean pointed to the spot instantly.

--------------

Now the rest, who would seem to have been at a different match

The Scotsman

Morelos made what referee McLean considered a more telling touch in the other penalty area nine minutes later to concede the penalty which brought Aberdeen’s performance to life. It was certainly a highly debatable decision as the striker appeared to get a toe on the ball when challenging Kenny McLean as Rangers struggled to clear a corner. Once the protests of the visitors had subsided, McLean stepped up and confidently sent Jak Alnwick the wrong way from the spot.

----------------

Daily Record

McInnes’s side forced a couple of quick corners, the first came to nothing but the second was knocked short in to McLean and he ended up on the deck after going for the ball along with Morelos.

Ref Steven McLean pointed to the spot and while Gers were furious, namesake Kenny kept his head to fire the Dons in front.

-------------------

Sky Sports (very short report)

Kenny McLean - leaving for Norwich in the summer - converted a controversial early penalty (14) to set the hosts on course for a victory that would have secured European football for a fifth successive season, as well as ensuring they would finish above Rangers for the fourth time in a row.

-----------------

BT Sports

The Dons took the lead after 14 minutes – and they had referee Steven McLean to thank.

Alfredo Morelos clearly got a touch to the ball as he tried to nick in before McLean collected Ryan Christie’s low corner.

But the official got his decision all wrong as his namesake hit the deck, pointing to the spot without hesitation.

-------------- 

The Scottish Sun

The penalty he awarded the Dons after 14 minutes was hugely controversial.

When Alfredo Morelos and Kenny McLean – no relation – came together inside the box there was one big question the ref had to answer.

Who got to the ball first?

At first look it seemed that the Aberdeen midfielder had managed to nick a touch on it before being clattered a nano-second later by the Colombian.

Which in all fairness explained the official’s decision to point to the spot.

But the more closely TV replays were studied, the more questionable it got with Morelos every right to claim he was hard done by.

DMAA

This was what I referred to.

I'm sure there was an alteration to the match report.

Will look it up later / have to go just now. 

edit

You are right,...there was no change. Must be something else I'm thinking of,...memory is going down the tubes !! :confused:

Edited by buster.

40 minutes ago, D'Artagnan said:

Some may point out this is the third gambling related commentary he has made regarding Rangers players, the previous ones being Black & Barton.

He has yet to highlight Griffiths' gambling problems & debts which caused him to be banned from several establishments.

Given those facts I dont think he has a credible comeback

The following paragraph of the post you quoted covers it.........

In this particular case, it isn't something to put on the metaphorical charge sheet. It's more something to log and file away as it might provide useful further down the line.

ie. Put together with past articles / lack of them and you build something that would be more difficult to bat away.

1 hour ago, trublusince1982 said:

Used how? 

No idea how commenting on something in seclusion or calling a spade a spade has anything to do with a body of evidence or the guys previous writing but even so...

The piece is a horrible nasty spiteful pile of garbage whether it stands on its own two feet or is taken as a continuous agenda led program. 

Using a person's admitted addiction to say he could cause harm at his new employer is never justified. Have no idea how justification for that slant or tone could ever be possible, especially when being passed as sports journalism I'm today's world.

We would have far more support from outside if we went after things like this. Simply because it can't be justified, there is no upside to this type of writing that can garner support or defence. These are the battles we should take up because they can be won and cause harm to the BBC and it's image.

Wrt this piece by itself, no we wouldn't have far more support from outside and nor would we win this particular 'battle'.

Is it this article that people are unhappy about? - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45276855

Got to be honest and say I'm struggling to see what's wrong with it? I know a few recovering addicts and speaking about their addiction seems to be something they all do as a matter of course. They don't keep it secret, they own the problem. 

The signing of Lafferty is a risk. His career has been blighted by inconsistency, he's undoubtedly 'high-maintenance' (I know of some fairly unimpressive stories of his professionalism when he was first with us) and when you consider that playing for Rangers brings a profile and scrutiny that playing for Hearts simply doesn't then there's going to be pressure on Lafferty that he didn't deal well with before. 

He's older now, and seemingly wiser, certainly his home life seems more stable now. I hope it works out for all concerned. 

I think English has written a long form piece on Lafferty's gambling problems already in the last year - perhaps with the help of the player's camp - so this may explain the relevance this time.

It is interesting that he chooses this subject though when there are more positive spins to put on our recent form.

17 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I think English has written a long form piece on Lafferty's gambling problems already in the last year - perhaps with the help of the player's camp - so this may explain the relevance this time.

It is interesting that he chooses this subject though when there are more positive spins to put on our recent form.

Exactly. He could have chosen to focus on the football, the number of clean sheets, the new players being welded into something looking like a team in a really short space of time, or the general sense of optimism around Rangers in contrast to the other lot across the city.

But no. He chose to highlight an addiction that Kyle had in the past and we all hope he will be able to put behind him. No context, no appreciation that it goes beyond Rangers and is a cancer not just across football but the whole of modern society. Just highlight one player (a Rangers fan) and his problems.

Keep your blinkers on Tom and service that PQ agenda for all your worth.

R4 Today sports presenter, Gary Richardson, well off message. “Rangers unbeaten in ten, celtic creaking”. Roddy Forsyth came on to restore the balance. It’s Boyata’s fault.

GR might have said something other than “creaking”, I didn’t quite catch it. That was the gist of it, though.