New manager rumours

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

Player quality when it is at the level of Gerrard can indirectly have an effect when going into management.

1. the attention/profile it brings which can be converted into revenue.

2. the automatic respect that comes when the guy in front of you has reached the levels he has and  the opportunity to drag our level of professionalism up, eg. fitness levels 

3. the profile of the player who would consider joining Rangers.

4. the 'revolutionary aspect' that galvanises a support and ensures ST take-up.

5. the level of supporting staff should be better

It provides a base from which Gerrard would then have to show he's up to it.

If he is appointed, gets the backing (staff and finance) then he has every chance of improving things in the short-term and winning the league title in the medium term. 

I heard a 3 year contract mentioned. Whether there is anything in that or not, I don't know but I'd sign-up now, for him to win the League Championship in his last year.

Fair points and, as I said in this week's pod, it's the last paragraph Rangers supporters have to be most concious of.

With expected squad changes it's very unlikely Rangers will win the league again next year.  Can we accept that?

35 minutes ago, buster. said:

We should be ignoring the other half of the City for the next 12 months and be preparing to engage more seriously for the following season

Totally agree.

"When speaking to BT Sport last April, Gerrard wasn’t shy about revealing the way he wanted his teams to play: “My teams will be physical. Fighting, winning, tackling. Going where it hurts, letting your lungs burn and really digging deep.”"

Have to say I really like the sound of Gerrard's style. I know it doesn't mean much without a track record, but I for one will be glad to have a manager who values strength, aggression and tackling for a change. We barely have a midfielder who can tackle. Our centre backs are weak pushovers. Here's hoping Stevie will fix those problems in the transfer market.

To be fair to PC and GM though, I can't remember them over promising.  They kept issuing the same line about closing the gap on Celtic.  The problem is that it's our own fans that will set their own expectations (me included), DESPITE what the manager, board or players say.

6 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Totally agree.

"When speaking to BT Sport last April, Gerrard wasn’t shy about revealing the way he wanted his teams to play: “My teams will be physical. Fighting, winning, tackling. Going where it hurts, letting your lungs burn and really digging deep.”"

Have to say I really like the sound of Gerrard's style. I know it doesn't mean much without a track record, but I for one will be glad to have a manager who values strength, aggression and tackling for a change. We barely have a midfielder who can tackle. Our centre backs are weak pushovers. Here's hoping Stevie will fix those problems in the transfer market.

Getting our fitness levels up several notches to what a top professional club should have would be a good start.

5 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

To be fair to PC and GM though, I can't remember them over promising.  They kept issuing the same line about closing the gap on Celtic.  The problem is that it's our own fans that will set their own expectations (me included), DESPITE what the manager, board or players say.

Any new manager would be well advised not to mention celtic and gaps.

Concentrate on improving Rangers.

They shouldn't allow the media up here to drag him down to where they want a new manager to go.

No cheap and easy platitudes about 55, high and immediate expectations. Hard and cold realism with a determination to improve and improve.

6 minutes ago, buster. said:

No cheap and easy platitudes about 55, high and immediate expectations. Hard and cold realism with a determination to improve and improve.

This includes not being afraid to set up defensively against Celtic with the intention of counter attacking. Our last 3 managers now have made the mistake of setting up to attack Celtic and each of them caused the club to be humiliated (MW 5-1, PC 5-1, GM 4-0 & 5-0).

This has largely been down to not recruiting players capable of sitting in and defending against a better team (defensive midfielders and defenders who can defend). This was Walter's speciality.

Unbelievable but i'm actually looking forward to Saturday's game. I want to see a fresh approach, no one man up front isolated, but an attacking formation consisting of two strikers, Morelos just behind Cummings, one doing the graft and dirty work, one banging in the goals. #excited  

After last night it seems to be as close as it can be without actually being signed. 

Along with the rumoured investment, it is hopefully better times ahead. 

Just a wee off point - What has happened to McGregor & Arfield? That has went quiet?

BTW, the reaction of the Scottish media, generally negative, obviously argues from a closer contact with the Scottish game and its realities as such. I would assume that MW and PC never really knew what they took up when accepting the job, and perhaps something similar can be said about Gerrard. He'll obviously know some things about Rangers, the rivalry and whatnot.

But does he know the current environment we have, authorities, referees, media and intensity? That's probably the reason some Scots wrote about the "poison chalice" that is Rangers FC, only to forget that it is actually not Rangers FC, but first and foremost all the aforementioned environment. IMHO, we need a rather solid and robust PR/media department, keeping the trolls and Yahoo-inclined mhedia chaps and "journalists" away from him, Ibrox, and Auchenhowie. We have been far too soft with this for essentially all I can remember bar the Souness and Smith era(s).

As we can see, only mentioning him as the next Rangers boss has them fall over one another and hardly a word is being said about the Yahoos title triumph and whatnot. If Rangers handle this cleverly, they keep the investment announcement secret up to the day of the Cup Final and blew their supposed "double treble" party as well ... or indeed let have Motherwell its day or two of glory.