[FT] Motherwell 3 - 3 Rangers (Lafferty 15, 38; Ejaria 43)

5 minutes ago, RTB2004 said:

This doesn't bode well for the next 2 games.

We go to Russia with a 1 goal lead on Thursday, and then we have an Old Firm at Parkhead just days later.

This has happened 3 times this season already. In the home leg of the Osijek tie, we conceded a late equaliser, then at Aberdeen and now at Motherwell. I hope this isn't a recurring theme throughout the season.

We let Motherwell walk all over us in that 2nd half. We were constantly on the defence, never looking to get the ball up the pitch to give our defenders time to breathe.

We should have looked for a 4th goal right from the moment that 2nd half whistle was blown. I was never comfortable at all with a 1 goal lead, especially against a Motherwell side who are usually quite tough to play against.

As for Tavernier, he can't fucking defend for shit. Amazing at getting forward and getting balls into the opposition box, but by fuck he's a bombscare when he has to defend.

I think that's the thing; if we are going to stick with this system then maybe we need to replace Tav with Candeias.

2 minutes ago, RTB2004 said:

This doesn't bode well for the next 2 games.

We go to Russia with a 1 goal lead on Thursday, and then we have an Old Firm at Parkhead just days later.

This has happened 3 times this season already. In the home leg of the Osijek tie, we conceded a late equaliser, then at Aberdeen and now at Motherwell. I hope this isn't a recurring theme throughout the season.

We let Motherwell walk all over us in that 2nd half. We were constantly on the defence, never looking to get the ball up the pitch to give our defenders time to breathe.

We should have looked for a 4th goal right from the moment that 2nd half whistle was blown. I was never comfortable at all with a 1 goal lead, especially against a Motherwell side who are usually quite tough to play against.

As for Tavernier, he can't fucking defend for shit. Amazing at getting forward and getting balls into the opposition box, but by fuck he's a bombscare when he has to defend.

This is about getting back to the basics of defending (a back four for both these games) but against the Russians we need to look for and score at least one away goal or we may struggle #balance

It's also about decent recovery because as we come towards the end of 10 games in 32 days, we looked knackered in that second half.

Over to SG&Co.

We let them dictate the match in the second half. I would've thought that this will concern the Manager. Too often we went long and gave them the ball back when we needed to get our foot on the ball and take the sting out of their kick and rush gameplan. The defending was too casual at times by certain players and I think that we relied too much on the notion that we'd be able to handle whatever they threw at us. We also gave away corners needlessly in injury time which contributed to the pressure building.

Can Flanagan play in a back three, switching sides, and against a team which is arguably the strongest in the league at deploying the tactic of pumping the ball into the air and feeding off the scraps?

Debatable imo.

Having a mobile second anchor missing today stuck out for me. That's not to say that Andy Halliday didn't have a reasonable game. Lass was, again, a big miss.

Food for thought for Stevie.

P.S. Thomson was his usual nightmarish self.

Edited by Soulsonic5791

Individual errors and poor performances aside, I don't think Motherwell at Fir park is the place to experiment with the back line.  I thought we were fairly comfortable in the second half until SG took Barisic off, it should have been Flanagan.  From then on we had nothing going forward and were constantly on the back foot.   I hope the manager learns from this today.

Ejaria has some nice skills but I felt the game passed him by today, though part of this have been due to us hitting a lot of long balls.  Tav wasn't as effective as he normally is when he is in offensive mode.  I feel that Morelos looked as though he was starting to tire in the second half (I thought this was also the case in the Maribor game).  Other teams will have seen we have trouble coping when the opposition is continually in our face making it difficult to get our passing game going and that if you send in sufficient sufficient crosses to our box at some point one or two of them will be fruitful. 

I find it hard to believe Motherwell managed to control the second half.

That is the real lesson for the manager to learn.

Tav still can't defend cross balls and that isn't going to change.

giphy.gif

Should also add that we are much more likely to drop points while still playing in Europe.

Edited by ranger_syntax

Scunnered at that, what on earth were we playing at inviting Motherwell onto us?  Got exactly what we deserved in the end.

The change of formation didn’t work, neither did the subs.  Goldson and Katic looked uncomfortable from the start.  Gerrard and management team must take their share of the blame, such is life at Rangers.

Leagues aren't won or lost in August , the over reaction is a sign of how high the expectations are now amongst our support .

we need to try and keep a sensible head on things , look at the change in the squad , the massive strides forward that we have taken , yes we are all disappointed but some of the stuff I've read on other sites and Twitter is simply way way way OTT .