[FT] Dundee Utd 1 - 0 Rangers

2 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Wait, you mean playing three defensive midfielders not known for their attacking prowess, a single striker and two hardly-lethal attacking midfielders against a packed defense and solid midfield was shrewd? Our three attack-minded players were easily mopped up by their defense time and again, and we hardly got anything going from deep or had supportive runners from midfield. And not for the first time. IMHO, that is far too defensive, not least if you want to keep the opposition in their half and dominate the game in a manner we could. So if we play a 4-3-3, I want our best attackers in the front line, and possibly one attack-minded behind them. Time and again we have relied on our wingbacks to act as supportive attacking players who swing in crosses, only that we have far too fw players at the receiving end. And when they (and not least Tav) provide no quality, things need to change. Yet we persist with the same system time and time again, despite it being hardly the one-and-only solution to play Scottish opposition. It failed for Warburton, and dare I say it, it also failed in our first two seasons under SG, even though people rather like to blame the players. Last season`s success, to a large extent, was built on our rock solid defence, not exactly us blowing the opposition apart. So yes, with all these new and better players, it would be good to see some tactical changes too. Ar least every now and then.

But you are free to offer your own ideas.

EDIT: No need for people throwing about cynical remarks regarding "us being in crisis" or the like. We are surely not, yet those who have their own opinions should be free to do so and I don`t see any need to level any "head-in-sands" comments out at those not of my opinion either.

We averaged 2.5 goals a game last season yet we didn’t “blow teams apart” ?

They aren’t all defensive midfielders either.  Davis and Kamara are both more than capable of defense splitting passes and getting up in support of the strikers - I guess Davis scored from the halfway line the other night seeing as he’s a defensive midfielder ?

4 hours ago, gisabeer said:

For what its worth i dont rate barasic as highly as the manager.  He had a purple patch at the beginning of last season but dropped off as the season went on.  As for lundstrom,  hes waltzed right into the side on his reputation and has failed to deliver.  Maybe we should ask malmo to give him an easy ride till he settles in. If hes picked that is.   

I can see where you're coming from with Barasic. He has certainly dropped off since his 'purple patch'.  Two free kicks in his prime territory, against Malmo and again today and he couldn't even lift the ball over the wall. Didn't want to single him out though because too many are resting on their laurels. Not through lack of effort, I must say, but just not engaging the brain, making the right decisions or finding the quality required with the right pace of pass or being in the right position. 

Wake up call for me, nothing more or less. Roll on Malmo! 

Edited by weebluedevil

It's pointless to say the current squad doesn't have the necessary abilities. They've clearly shown they do. What appears to be an issue at the moment is taking place above the shoulders of about half a dozen players. Transfer time is often destabilising and none of us know what is going on behind the scenes. Roll on the end of this transfer window.

2 hours ago, craig said:

Still doesn’t answer the nonsense that they should be booed.

undefeated in the league for the first time in a century - but we should be booing them a handful of games into a new season.  Deary me.

The fans are paying  good money to watch and follow them   so they are perfectly entitled to give them hell for displays like today and last Tuesday. 

Edited by compo

Both Kent and Aribo were poor today and we relied on them a lot last season. Both should have been replaced earlier and I’m not sure Morelos should have started & stayed on as long as he did.

Also at some point I think Itten is going to need a longer run of games than he’s been getting.A few games and a few goals would help his confidence 

Im also a bit concerned that I don’t think any of the players signed since the start of the year have improved us though I do concede it’s still early days for some of them

There’s no denying that it has been a bit of a worrying start to the season tbh. Preseason was badly disrupted and we are already having bad luck with our players (Roofe, Hagi, Jack). 

Scott Wright very unlucky not to start, or get on sooner. For Malmö I think he should come in for Lundstram with Aribo moving back one. 

13 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Both Kent and Aribo were poor today and we relied on them a lot last season.

Hmm. I just finished watching Sportscene there, Aribo was involved in absolutely everything decent we did but he can’t do it all by himself. Kent had literally one involvement in our attacks in the highlights and it was just a cross, he really needs to improve and fast. Kent’s other involvement was giving the ball away badly before their goal.