[FT] Rangers 2 (Tavernier 6pen; Dessers 15) - 1 Servette

10 minutes ago, yuddie said:

I get the concern from some but if we can't get past Servette, with due respect, we shouldn't even be thinking of the UCL.

But then again some of us want to bomb out of qualifying and dop into the UEL so maybe I'm in the wrong 🤷

Truth be told, while we could beat the odd standard team in the CL, there is every chance that we get a similar group like last season and get pumped. While the group stage money is essentially a budget gold mine for the next 3 years, as soon as we get humped, people will cry for blood. The EL will see us paired against more equal teams in the long run. Essentially, it is all a bonus and a win-win situation for us. First and foremost, though, in the here and now, I want us to put the Scum down in the place where they belong.

15 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Truth be told, while we could beat the odd standard team in the CL, there is every chance that we get a similar group like last season and get pumped. While the group stage money is essentially a budget gold mine for the next 3 years, as soon as we get humped, people will cry for blood. The EL will see us paired against more equal teams in the long run. Essentially, it is all a bonus and a win-win situation for us. First and foremost, though, in the here and now, I want us to put the Scum down in the place where they belong.

Wouldn't we have to reach the quarters or semi's of the UEL to match the prize money of getting to the UCL though? 

Surely the ideal would be qualify for UCL as third seeds, get third in the group and drop into the UEL? It's not easy but it's what we should aspire to do imo especially as it's the last season you can do it. With the UCL expanding from next season and it looking fairer to get to the last 16 (imo) we need to get as much experience as we can get, instead of making our bed in the second rate European competition.

We were all aboard Rangers getting better and healing but as soon as we got a few spankings in our first season back in the champions league after going bust and being demoted to the lower leagues fans turned around and made love to the UEL. I just can't get on board with that. Tough it out.

Fully agree on winning the league of course and keeping them down.

Edited by yuddie

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/50121--rangers/squad/

Squad for the UCL, unsure if that's permanent or if we can change it for the UCL proper. I imagine we can.

Crunched the numbers and worked out that the average age of the squad is 26.4 years with the midfield and attack being averages of 25.8 and 25 and the defence being 28.1 years old (with less quality than the middle to front as well imo).

Make of that what you will.