[FT] Rangers 2 (Tavernier 6pen; Dessers 15) - 1 Servette

1 hour ago, weebluedevil said:

However, maybe it's time we should play with wingers and two defensive fullbacks or find two better attacking-fullbacks. Tav has a great free kick in him (occasionally) and the odd cross, but he's getting slower and is not good enough defensively. Borna showed that he still has a decent cross in him when he's playing high but again absolutely useless defensively (he'll take plaudits for last night but truth is he wasn't pressed much or tested defensively). 

I think it's gradually dawning on most fans that Tav has run his race at Rangers. As the team around him improves, this will only become more obvious.

Surprised people are content with this result. It shows to me that we haven't shaken off the "can't kill off games" label yet. These guys were down a man and we practically gave up. We are one goal away from an awful result in this tie and the result should have been put to bed easily. It's a huge concern for me.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I think it's gradually dawning on most fans that Tav has run his race at Rangers. As the team around him improves, this will only become more obvious.

Good teams are built from the back and the manager doesn't seem to see this only Souttar is worth keeping 

17 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Surprised people are content with this result. It shows to me that we haven't shaken off the "can't kill off games" label yet. These guys were down a man and we practically gave up. We are one goal away from an awful result in this tie and the result should have been put to bed easily. It's a huge concern for me.

I think most folk are content with the overall improved performance rather than the result. I know i am.

Edited by onevision

I was pleased to see the effort, skill and positioning play in the first half.  It was disappointing to see that drop off in the second as we reverted to cross balls from the full backs.  I can't see Tav lasting the season.  I liked the brief look at Cifuentes and thought Danilo looked very promising.  I was disappointed with Lammers.  So much just didn't come off for him.  Cantwell was the outstanding player for us again.  Once again I thought some of the substitutions were bizarre, even needless and weakened us late in the game.  Two defensive mids when they went down to 9 men was unnecessary.

In hindsight, considering they had 7 or 8 first teamers out and were down to 10 for half an hour, it isn't that good a result at all.

I'll take the win and the performance in the first half hour though.

The numbers post game does show we dominated to be fair, hopefully we can build on this.

1 hour ago, onevision said:

I think most folk are content with the overall improved performance rather than the result. I know i am.

I guess so. I just think it is incredibly disappointing to have a slender one goal lead after playing against 10 men. We know have to go away from home and either draw or win against the same team with 11 men, it's going to be hard and the thing is there was no need for it to be.

Edited by PoohBear

23 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

I was disappointed with Lammers.  So much just didn't come off for him. 

There is a footballer there. I think he loses heart when things don’t come off for him. Some of the things he tried in the penalty box were just inches away from opening up the road to goal. He reminds me of Van Vossen. Not for the terrible missed chance, just his general style and movement.

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

There is a footballer there. I think he loses heart when things don’t come off for him. Some of the things he tried in the penalty box were just inches away from opening up the road to goal. He reminds me of Van Vossen. Not for the terrible missed chance, just his general style and movement.

I think perhaps he is trying too hard if there is such a thing.