Essentially the loss of our first choice midfield and strike-force meant we were always going to struggle to win last night.

Sure, we could have started Novo and the usual strikers but they still came on and we still struggled. Moreover, without the combative nature of McCulloch/Thomson and the creative influence of Davis, our chances were reduced.

I'm more concerned about the inability of the fringe players to again take their chance than the decision of the manager to rotate his squad ahead of more important games.

Why wasn't Ness given a chance don't see why he couldn't have played in midfield?

Yeah, that's my biggest problem with the team last night.

Naismith is not a central midfield player in a four and I wouldn't call Edu a physical player like Thomson or McCulloch. As such, I'd like to have seen Ness in there - enabling Naismith to start up front instead of Little.

:)

Essentially the loss of our first choice midfield and strike-force meant we were always going to struggle to win last night.

Sure, we could have started Novo and the usual strikers but they still came on and we still struggled. Moreover, without the combative nature of McCulloch/Thomson and the creative influence of Davis, our chances were reduced.

I'm more concerned about the inability of the fringe players to again take their chance than the decision of the manager to rotate his squad ahead of more important games.

I agree with you, I think the problem is that we had slim pickings in midfield and many won't like to admit it but we even missed McCulloch.

However, Davis was the biggest miss for me.

We were forced into leaving out Bougherra, Broadfoot, Davis, Thomson and McCulloch and it was obvious our strikers and Novo had lost form, possibly needing rested - and they would be needed for the next two games in quick succession.

But people are also underestimating how fired up DU were in their own backyard after a motivating comeback at Ibrox. They certainly want to win the cup more than we do and that's not a criticism of our players - it's just natural that team who is the best outside the OF and hasn't won much for a long time would be more motivated than a Rangers team who have just won the league cup and are cantering to the championship.

I think what's bugging everyone is that we were 3-1 up at Ibrox and the semi is against Raith, meaning we'd be a shoe-in for the final - perhaps against Celtic.

However, if Celtic actually manage to get there, which is not a given considering their form, then I'm pretty sure they'll only have a 50-50 chance if DU are the opposition.

If by any chance selik slip from 2/7 to evs, I will much as I hate taking money for nothing put ma hoose on them.

ETA DU are fekin gash, long throw, big punt up the park and whoever was managing us last night never had the mallum to defend higher up the park, it was like schoolboys fitba...well mibee no as good as that..

Edited by wabashcannonball

Not read this thread as I don't have the stomach to do so, but last night's result sickened me. The players really didn't get going at all, and sadly Utd deserved the win. That AM was my motm says it all about our display.

The Celtic result was of absolutely no consolation to me - I really, really, really wanted the treble.

I thought Fleck was our best outfield player - his biggest problem was not making passes.

Little was starved of the ball and unable to make any real impact.

Edu and Naismith were lightweight in midfield, and I hardly noticed Beasley till the last 20 minutes.

Lafferty worked hard but his quality was once again absent.

But while we were poor, it took a rebound to beat us. That said, it's scant consolation.

Last night confirmed one thing to me; i don't give a shit about cup competitions. Though i basically knew that anyway when i could barely muster a smile after we beat Falkirk in yet another ZZZZZZfest of a final against a diddy team last season. Roll on number 53, the only trophy that means anything

Not read this thread as I don't have the stomach to do so, but last night's result sickened me. The players really didn't get going at all, and sadly Utd deserved the win. That AM was my motm says it all about our display.

The Celtic result was of absolutely no consolation to me - I really, really, really wanted the treble.

Agreed. last night was a massive loss. Trebles are the hardest thing to win and ultimate domestic achievement. I'm amazed at how easily some people are dismissing it. And using the sellick result as consolation is, I'm afraid, only too typical.

Not sure how you took my post as criticism of Walter Calscot? I was trying to explain why I thought we'd lose and my ambivalence about it all as much as anything. Last night I saw Naismith playing in a few positions in midfield; Little a striker, playing wide on the right; Beasley through the middle; Fleck out wide left; Lafferty out wide left etc.

But like you say, it was due to a lack of senior, fit players, I never had a go at Smith and I think its right he's concentrating on the league.