Rangers FC no longer for sale

The Andrew Ellis-led consortium is in "advanced negotiations" with Rangers to buy a controlling interest in the club.

Ellis and his company, RFC Holdings, informed the Stock Exchange on Wednesday that talks were at an advanced stage.

The consortium first registered its interest in the club in March.

Speaking last month, former Northampton Town owner Ellis apologised to the club's supporters over the length of time it was taking to strike a deal.

Ellis's consortium is considering a reported �£33m bid for the Scottish champions, who are about �£30m in debt and who have admitted that they are being investigated by HM Revenue and Customs, with reports claiming the club faces a �£24m tax bill.

Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston has previously criticised Ellis for the delay in preparing his proposal.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

What do Rangers supporters think of the proposed takeover?

And on Wednesday, a statement on the Stock Exchange read: "The company confirms that it is in advanced negotiations with Sir David Murray to acquire a controlling interest in Rangers Football Club plc.

"However, no price has been agreed and no timing has been established for the conclusion of the talks.

"If a deal is concluded between Sir David Murray and RFC, the company would be required under Rule 9 of the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers immediately to make an offer for the remaining issued share capital of Rangers.

"It is emphasised that this announcement does not amount to a firm intention to make an offer and there is no certainty that any offer will be forthcoming, or as to the terms of such an offer."

Sir David Murray, who relinquished his chairmanship and place on the board in August, controls about 90% of the shares in Rangers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8731834.stm

If anyone was in any doubt about the sorry state of our media, just look at the papers this morning. These bastions of honest reporting have taken that simple statement released last night and rather than just reporting what it said, they've decided to put their spin on it, to sensationalise and mis-report it, to suit their own agendas. Its complete and utter bullshit which allows these papers to write completely made-up headlines and stories based on nothing. Not even one of their "famous sources".

I think the best of the bunch is the R*cord one saying how the deal is "on the brink of collapse" which appears to be based on the single line of the statement saying that a deal may not be concluded. There's your proof of the true agenda of that paper, which ironically still gets brought up by other supporters as being pro-Rangers. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but its amazing they get away with presenting stuff as fact when its clearly just opinion.

Please, admin, can we close this thread now. I care about Rangers F.C far too much to see its affairs the subject of 'intellectual' cut-and-thrust. There's a few posters on here more interested in their own one-up-man-ship.

It's bad enough with the press; the joke has gone too far. Let 'Ascender's' comment be the last word.

Please, admin, can we close this thread now. I care about Rangers F.C far too much to see its affairs the subject of 'intellectual' cut-and-thrust. There's a few posters on here more interested in their own one-up-man-ship.

It's bad enough with the press; the joke has gone too far. Let 'Ascender's' comment be the last word.

The last word as always, will be Minty's.

PS......."Where an offeror is marked "Disclosure of dealings and positions in this offeror is not required", dealings and positions in relevant securities of that offeror are not required to be disclosed under Rule 8 of the Takeover Code (the "Code"). This is either because it has been announced that the offer or possible offer is, or is likely to be, solely in cash or because disclosure is not required for some other reason."

That begs another question, it is more than likely a cash deal, so what the fek have they been discussing for months, when they haven't agreed a price.

Edited by wabashcannonball

[/b]

I meant the last word in this thread. Or do you suggest that 'Minty' contributes to these forums?:)

You don't have to read the thread,I'm sure should anything happen there will be a new thread started:)

Sorry Alex i disagree with you. Filtering through the bullshit is a lot of good opinions and facts coming up. i have learned things from this thread i had no idea about before hand. Shutting this thread will not stop the bullshit it will only move it to another thread. I would suggest it be shut when a deal becomes official making the thread out of date. I can only say if you don't like it don't open it. My opinion.

[/b]

I meant the last word in this thread. Or do you suggest that 'Minty' contributes to these forums?:)

Naw your OK Scotty......I remember you weel tearing doon the right wing, and it wiz a real T bladder in those days, made in Partick by John Tomlinsons on Dumbarton road next to Partick station, just down from Woolies...aye those were the days, you didn't need a degree in skulduggery to watch the fitba....:)

Sorry but you have the free choice not to look at this thread. FFS, why are people continually so anxious to decide what other people should read or write?

Generally, when you compare us with other forums, I think the debate has been conducted very well with people defending their point of view in an educated fashion.

The ownership issue is THE main subject at the moment when it comes to Rangers so it would be unreasonable for us to lock a thread which should interest us all. Sure, the media interpretation of the day-to-day events may be frustrating but even they are entitled to have an opinion.

Edited by Frankie