Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

IMHO, going in with a lower offer for Bedoya is a sound move.

As others have stated, he WILL be a Rangers player come January....the Pre-Contract has been signed, and the permit granted. if his current club wait, they will get zero, zip, nada for him. Rangers are in the driving seat in a number of ways, they are trying to persuade his current club that they are better getting something for him, than paying his wages for the next 6 months, then he walks.

It's similar to the Kenny Millar situation. RFC accepted the bid of �£400k or run the risk of getting zero at the end of the season.

Rangers will step up their bid to land Danny Wilson and Alejandro Bedoya in time to get the duo registered for this week’s Europa League clash away to Maribor.

Ibrox boss Ally McCoist has mounting defensive problems ahead of the play-off first leg in Slovenia, with injuries to Kyle Bartley, David Weir and Lee McCulloch, while Steven Whittaker and Sasa Papac are suspended for Thursday’s match in Slovenia.

American international Bedoya will be arriving on a pre-contract in January, but last night Rangers were hopeful of securing his early release from Swedish side Orebro in time for Tuesday's 11pm Europa League deadline.

Teams are generally only allowed to register one ‘late’ player for European football, but Sportsmail understands that should Rangers bring back 19-year-old Wilson to Ibrox on loan from Liverpool by Tuesday night they could add him to their European squad under an obscure loophole related to home-grown players born after January 1990.

Should the Wilson move fail, however, Rangers are monitoring two unnamed defenders — one of whom is understood to be United States captain Carlos Bocanegra — but Ibrox sources have denied reports they are interested in out-of-contract Denmark international Lars Jacobsen, formerly of West Ham.

Meanwhile, Rangers boss McCoist wants 20-year-old winger Gregg Wylde to sign a new long-term deal after kicking out a �£400,000 offer from Bolton.

And, with West Brom also believed to be interested in the forward, McCoist warned that any further bids will get short shrift.

‘The bid from Bolton was not accepted and I don’t want Gregg Wylde to go anywhere,’ said McCoist.

‘He is a good young talent and we feel he has done very well. We want him to sign on again with us and we want his progress to continue here at this football club.

‘I now have the opportunity to say any further bids we receive for Gregg will not be welcomed either.

‘We had a situation recently with Madjid Bougherra where he made it clear he wanted to leave the club.

‘Those circumstances were different and, to a certain degree, things were taken out of our hands there. With Madjid now gone, we are focused more on getting players in rather than getting more players out.

‘I’m hopeful in Gregg’s case that a resolution can be reached and that we can get to a conclusion we are all happy with.

‘This is probably as good a time as ever for a young player to be coming through the ranks at Ibrox.’

Meanwhile, Australian international midfielder Matt McKay will have his work-permit appeal held this Friday.

The former Brisbane Roar player, who agreed to join Rangers last week, has played just eight of his country’s last 14 competitive internationals and does not automatically qualify for a permit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2026419/Rangers-target-swoop-Danny-Wilson-Alejandro-Bedoya.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14536750.stm

Bocanegra was also with Fulham, I have a vague recolection of that,

Indeed he was at Fulham and I was surprised he left as long ago as 2008.

He was a steady performer at Fulham and since he moved for only �£400k last summer I wouldn't be expecting a huge transfer fee unless of course St Etienne would rather keep him.

Seems as though we are going through Maurice Edu's contacts with Bedoya also signed (in January so far).

I see a photoshop opportunity here - Bocanegra in a Rangers shirt with Captain America across the back!

Despite his age, he's still a very decent defender. At less than �£500K it's probably with the investment but hardly a long term one.

Clearly our CL exit is causing us problems financially. From being linked with various �£2.5million transfers, we're back to loans and cheap deals.

Despite his age, he's still a very decent defender. At less than �£500K it's probably with the investment but hardly a long term one.

Clearly our CL exit is causing us problems financially. From being linked with various �£2.5million transfers, we're back to loans and cheap deals.

I guess that is only to be expected since we have lost out on a �£12m booty.

I think Bedoya and McKay could be very shrewd purchases but I still think we will regret not signing a striking partner for Jelavic.

I guess that is only to be expected since we have lost out on a �£12m booty.

I think Bedoya and McKay could be very shrewd purchases but I still think we will regret not signing a striking partner for Jelavic.

Well, I'd prefer we were prudent now rather than having to pay for spending money we don't have a few years down the line.

I am interested in where this supposed front-loaded investment has gone though. I don't recall the new owner saying it was dependent on CL qualification?