Alas, this presupposes we have a team for them to be assimilated into. Knowing no-one of the current staff can only be a positive, who knows, maybe some of their good habits may rub off on impressionable youngsters like Black and Simonsen.

I doubt they know what standard they are letting themselves in for. I feel they'll start strongly then be dragged down to the pretty low level of the Championship. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Overall it's just another piece of business which makes no sense. Why not get them in on the 1st of January, rather than the 2nd of February? Why get half a team, instead of one or two or a whole team? As usual, everything Rangers does seems to be to the detriment of Rangers. It's crazy.

Yip, it's far from satisfactory. I just find myself measuring it against our normal scales of self harm, it's a skint knee rather than losing a limb.

I imagine that Newcastle not having a manager for most of January played a part in this. Carver was only confirmed as caretaker until the end of the season last week, I imagine if someone new had come in they'd have wanted all their players available. They're almost as dysfunctional as we are, so who knows.

Yeah, but this is more like creative accountancy by the business than team strengthening by the coaching staff. And while the 5 new faces can hardly - surely - be any worse than what we have, they don't offer anything at all by way of building - it's a render of the cheapest, least effective finishing plaster rather than a solid foundation. I agree it's not the most pressing of our problems, just another action which, taken in the round over the last few years, seems deliberately designed to inflict damage on Rangers.

I cannot make sense of it at all without joining Rab out there, on the perimeter, & I am not stoned immaculate.

SoS reporting that the Rangers do not know how much these guys will cost us and that they were hawked round English clubs first with no takers. Ashley still to let club know cost!

Sometimes the stone which is rejected, and all that. I'd be surprised if that story is 100% accurate, unless they were being offered to EPL clubs, because with their pedigree you'd imagine they could do a job for a struggling Championship side or, nearer the level we're at, a League One team. If they were offered to Everton or Hull, say, you could see why they got kb'd.

Does he mean "borrowing" do you think, such loose language from the Telegraph, tut tut.

Rangers will attempt to sign another player this week

The club signed five players from Newcastle on Monday, which complies with Fifa regulations, according to the Scottish Football Association

Rangers will this week attempt to add another player to the five signed on loan from Newcastle United – but the latest target is a free agent who is not on the books at St James’ Park, Telegraph Sport can reveal. It is also understood that, contrary to speculation in some quarters, the bulk of the new men’s salaries will be paid by Newcastle and not Rangers, although the Ibrox club will have to contribute to the reinforcement of Kenny McDowall’s squad.

Meanwhile, Scottish Football Association sources confirmed that the batch of loans from Newcastle to Rangers, however unusual in its scale, had complied with all appropriate Fifa regulations. On the other hand, it is likely to be added as evidence for the SFA charge that Mike Ashley has exceeded his influence at Ibrox in breach of the undertaking he signed with the governing body when he acquired shares in the beleaguered club, a holding which currently stands at 8.92 per cent. However, the Sports Direct owner’s hand is strengthened by his alliance with Sandy Easdale, the chairman of Rangers football board, who holds the proxy for other investor groups.

With the clock running down on the attempt by former Rangers director, Dave King, to requisition an extraordinary general meeting with the intent of gaining control of the Ibrox boardroom, the rhetoric from both sides will intensify as the week progresses. Off the field, Ashley’s loan of £10  million – which includes the repayment of £3 million of earlier borrowings – was designed to *consolidate his grip on Rangers’ *commercial affairs, with particular reference to the club’s merchandising deals with Sports Direct.

Now the existing regime – deeply unpopular with the support – has attempted to improve its standing with fans by bolstering the squad in the aftermath of the 2-0 defeat by Celtic in the QTS Scottish League Cup semi-final on Sunday. Rangers were not abject in the Old Firm derby but they were impotent.

Kenny Miller, the veteran striker in his third spell with Rangers, inadvertently gratified the Ibrox directors with his post-match declaration that “at the moment we have got maybe three or four who are on their game and five or six who are not on it”.

The arrival of five players this week and the likely acquisition of a sixth has been planned carefully, with the incomers distributed throughout every department of the team except goalkeeper – and that might change soon with the arrival of whatever free agent Rangers are pursuing.

Kevin Mbabu, the Swiss teenager on loan from Newcastle, can play at centre-back or right-back, while fellow loanee Remie Streete is a central defender. Gaël Bigirimana, who cost Newcastle £1 million when he moved from Coventry, operates in central midfield while the Northern Irish international, Shane Ferguson, can play left-back or left-midfield. Haris Vuckic, meanwhile, is a Slovenian striker who can also play wide in attack or off a frontman.

Paraded at Rangers’ Murray Park training base for the media, Bigirimana declared that he and the other four loan signings had done their homework on Rangers before agreeing to move north. “One of the main reasons we came here is that we know how big Rangers are and where they should be,” the Burundi-born player said.

“We want to be part of that. If that happens, it will be something in our career we can be happy about. We are still young in football but this is an opportunity for us to grow as footballers and men. It is exciting.

“People might say we don’t know what we have let ourselves in for but you have got to have a target. You can’t live your life in fear thinking, 'I don’t think it can happen’ – anything can happen.

“Yes, we are 16 points behind Hearts but we have got two games in hand. You never know in football. It is going to be tough but promotion is our target.”

According to Streete, the five were not compelled to move. “We found out a couple of days before the window,” said the son of former Wolves defender Floyd Streete.

“Rangers wanted to sign us on loan and Newcastle wanted us to sign on loan but they left it down to us. The fact there were a few of us coming up was a factor because it makes it easier to settle.

“It wasn’t like we didn’t have a choice. It was up to us and we saw the history of the club and how passionate the fans are.

“It’s similar to Newcastle and we thought, 'This is the right step for our careers’. We know where the club should be.”

Meanwhile, before any or all of the five face Raith Rovers in Sunday’s William Hill Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox, it is certain that the big match off the field – King & Co v Ashley and allies – will be in full swing. Watch this space.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11388684/Rangers-will-attempt-to-sign-another-player-this-week.html