The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

I know these things dont happen overnight, but that is over a year and not a sniff of any other market apart from England? Are we genuinely saying we have nobody watching European league football, even on the telly and then trying to see a player that will fit our system, then send for scouting reports?

I just find it incredible we are not able to bring in a centre half from anywhere in the world within our budget and playing style that is better than Wilson or Kiernan. I cannot believe that there are not dozens that would be better.

That's not strictly true TB.

There have been a number of players over on trials, mostly Scandinavians from memory. Which proves we do have scouts looking at places other than England. That said, admittedly, trialists are not what we would really be looking for - but the scouting network really does take time, it doesn't happen quickly.

I'm sure we have sourced payers better than Kiernan & Wilson but, as Frankie said last week, our 1st 3 choices all turned us down. Which leaves you looking at the remainder of your options and wondering if they are worth the money. Having watched Kiernan, Wilson & indeed Hill in the 1st couple of games I would like to think that MW & DW are saying "Yeah, they are worth spending the money on".

Maybe it will come right given a bit more time. This is a comment from McParland on it last November.

Frank McParland: Liverpool have 30 scouts around the world but Rangers have one .. ME

That’s something the 56-year-old is planning to change – and quickly – as he has already started building a network that will get the Rangers talent search back up and running after nearly three years of neglect under the previous misfiring regime.

Is it only me that is exasperated about the number of lower league inferior quality players we are being linked with, or has-beens with injury concerns, but again all coming from the English market.

There must be a whole host of decent (better than current players) centre halfs around Europe's equivalent leagues that would jump at the chance to come to Rangers. Are we even looking at the Polish, Swiss, Belgian, Croatian, etc leagues to see what is there?

Any time I see football from the English Championship downwards it is truly awful in terms of ability and skill, vastly overhyped and overpriced, yet this is the market we seem to be exclusively trying to work in.

Terribly insular for my liking.

Takes time plus is it only me that hasn't forgotten the amount of second rate bog standard europeans we have previously signed? Not many of warburtons signings have disappointed, no reason to question his judgement now.

Takes time plus is it only me that hasn't forgotten the amount of second rate bog standard europeans we have previously signed? Not many of warburtons signings have disappointed, no reason to question his judgement now.

Far from questioning his judgement i'm actually excited that a man like him has decided to make what is a very large outlay for us at this time on this player. Given the mangers past record for managing money you have to think there is a good chance that Joe Garner may be a revelation at Ibrox. It would make him look very bad indeed in the current financial situation if Garner was anything less than exhilarating.

Edited by JFK-1

I would take Lescott all day long. He is exactly what we need now.

Davie Weir was a mentor when on the field, he got the best out of 3 or 4 other centre halfs playing next to them. He needs to do the same as an assistant manager. Doesn't always seem to work out though, Big Eck was a top centre half but didn't always improve defenders.