[FT] Aberdeen 2 - 1 Rangers (Halliday 79 pen)

Exactly. Dare I say it.... We need a lazy bastard like Boyd.... Someone that has no interest in running channels or dropping deep, but will poach the box and take chances.

I was under the impression that this is Garner's job. Only in games like today, when he doesn't get service, he starts roving.

We had that same debate last week, when we played Ross County off the park and did not score. Today, much like in the Yahoo game, we handed the opposition a goal on the plate, an opposition that did not put us into much bother. And they were handed another gift by the ref. They took both.

Now, it is always good to sit here and debate that we are not progressing, but you've got your personnel and have to use it. We are sure agree in unison that today's line-up was one of the strongest we could throw at them. Only results-wise were Aberdeen better than the Doonhamers (IMHO). We have chopped and changed the line up somewhat, can address some stuff in the game like bringing Kranjcar on, but in the end of the day, you have capable players who need to take their chances or, indeed, need to be brave. How farther can they progress than what they have shown us? They dominate games, they rattle up chances and ultimately, just now, fail to do what we did last season. Scoring more goals than the opposition. We are still in the learning process of breaking these brickwallers (which changing personnell) up, and thus far, we are not successful. Or, at times unlucky.

BTW, I would say that the CHs looked decent today. Not 100% solid, but I don't expect that anyway. McKay, bar a couple of moments, was below his own standard, and Tav rather subdued throughout, not to mention his blackout.

I admire your optimism DB however do not share it. I simply think we are lacking quality and are unable to deviate from our one game plan. I hope I am wrong, but I have watched for weeks coming to an overall opinion on it. We are not good enough, we have recruited average players at best, paid way over the odds for Garner who I feel is not up to the standard and MW feels obligated to play him due to the 1.8m price tag. Kranjar and Barton have been discussed at length, we bench MOH constantly so the only recruits who play from the start on a regular basis at the moment are Hill and eh Hill, and even he isn't really a regular. The rest are squad players so we essentially are left with the same team as last year.

That side is not good enough to challenge, I am not debating the rights or wrongs of it, maybe we are not entitled to challenge, however we do not have the quality or the mental strength to challenge at the top of the league and we will do very well to challenge for a European spot. At the moment we are not looking like making the top six? I know some are ok with that, and like yourself DB are content with the learning curve we are on. I can't say I'm happy with it, it is what it is, what can't be denied is that we have the second highest wage bill in the league and we have recruited average players.

I sincerely hope I am wrong and MW turns it around, at the moment I would be very happy with just making Europe, I can't see us challenging any higher with the players we have.

Edited by cooponthewing

When Kranjcar came on, he introduced the one-touch passing game missing throughout. Before that it was more often than not "stop the ball, run a few steps and look" ... allowing the opposition to get near or into position. Both McKay and Tav were not at their best today, I actually wondered why Dodoo did not replace McKay ... instead of Forrester.

I must have been watching a different game :rolleyes:

The thing is... Different people see the same thing in different ways.

Take today. Some will simply say we lost and it isn't good enough, fair enough.

Some will say we outplayed them and got unlucky, again fair enough.

And some will say we are a CB and ST away from challenging. Again fair enough.

All 3 are different shades of "glass half full or glass half empty".

I think our midfield with Holt, Windass, Halliday and Crooks is just fine. Full backs are more than good enough too. We need a CB or 2 and we need a prolific striker and then we aren't far away....

Can't blame the manager too much when his first 4 targets at CB choose other teams.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy. I still think we will come good and that we need to have some patience. Like it or not there is an adjustment to playing the top tier sides every week.

I'm no pessimist either. The CH's might not be to your taste but this pairing haven't put a foot wrong in the last 3 games the goals against us didn't come from any position they were covering today. So if you are a glass half full guy you should be saying that.

The issues we have is that the players in key attacking positions are not taking responsibility. Todays example only once did our outside left take on the defender and look what happened there. There was an almighty scramble on the line. Once in a game is not good enough and the same goes for the other side of the park. Instead what happens is the ball is recycled back towards the half way line where it hurts no one. Thats not how the system is supposed to work and thats why we're not creating many chances.

EDIT: I see in your other post you werent necessarily singling out the CH's its just that you think we need better.

Edited by Big Jaws

as you say we all have our opinions and rightly so. In this case i honestly hope yours are right and mine are wrong. Would rather see us win than be right

Remember.... I'm always right :roflmao:

Seriously though. I could be wrong but I also believe that this season is one of adjusting to being back in the top flight. I was hopeful we could challenge for the league but realistic enough to know this season may be too early.

Next season is where I will personally judge MW. Need to remember that this pre-season he released and signed a full team again.

Having had a season in the SPL next season I expect him to recruit players who will strengthen us and challenge for the title. That said, we also need to be cognizant that Celtic can still spend more on one player than we can on our whole squad. And with CL money that isn't changing for next season, unless we get significant investment in the playing squad

Remember.... I'm always right :roflmao:

Seriously though. I could be wrong but I also believe that this season is one of adjusting to being back in the top flight. I was hopeful we could challenge for the league but realistic enough to know this season may be too early.

Next season is where I will personally judge MW. Need to remember that this pre-season he released and signed a full team again.

Having had a season in the SPL next season I expect him to recruit players who will strengthen us and challenge for the title. That said, we also need to be cognizant that Celtic can still spend more on one player than we can on our whole squad. And with CL money that isn't changing for next season, unless we get significant investment in the playing squad

We'll need to get it sorted out quickly Craig or we'll be in a relegation battle never mind challenging for top six... at the bottom of the league right now Accies are leading ST Johnstone 1-0.

Now, it is always good to sit here and debate that we are not progressing, but you've got your personnel and have to use it. We are sure agree in unison that today's line-up was one of the strongest we could throw at them. Only results-wise were Aberdeen better than the Doonhamers (IMHO). We have chopped and changed the line up somewhat, can address some stuff in the game like bringing Kranjcar on, but in the end of the day, you have capable players who need to take their chances or, indeed, need to be brave. How farther can they progress than what they have shown us? They dominate games, they rattle up chances and ultimately, just now, fail to do what we did last season. Scoring more goals than the opposition. We are still in the learning process of breaking these brickwallers (which changing personnell) up, and thus far, we are not successful. Or, at times unlucky.

Ask if we can progress any further than we have before suggesting that we've regressed.

Claim we are still learning to break down 'brickwallers' despite the fact we have been coming up against defensive opposition for quite some time.

Much of the rest is just empty waffling.