The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

6 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Not impressed with this one tbh. He couldn’t make the Bolton team last season who avoided relegation by 2 points and conceded the 3rd most in the league. He often didn’t make the bench. What more is there to be said?

what are you talking about?  he joined in feb and played a decent number of matches and was even getting praised towards the end of march

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/16104752.Whites_defender_Flanagan_showing_he_is_a_class_act/

let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!

Everybody does things you later regret.

Patrick kluivert killed a man with reckless driving and was convicted of manslaughter. it didn't hurt his career much.

If we are going to look at everybody's history with a fine toothed comb we won't sign anyone.

Thumbs down on Flanagan. No disrespect to our skipper SG, I understand his situation and I respect it but...

He didn't crack the first team at Liverpool and was relegated to playing with the U21 & U23 squads most of his time there. He started 12 matches at Bolton but was carded three times in those twelve...two of which were very close games in the 89 & 90th minutes.

Yes, this is very small sample size but it is predictive. This tells me one thing, he is not an intelligent player. What I mean is when offenses press in the closing minutes of a tight game, technique, and ability to predict tactic is pressed as the game speeds past most people's physical ability to compensate. Players whose growth is mentally and physically commensurate will begin to spot these things. They are aware of the clock, can predict movement and as such can press back via countermeasure. Unintelligent players will revert to the physical, panic and draw the card every time due to poor positioning and inability to spot tactic.

This requires spatial intelligence, predictive planning and field feel with respect to self, opposing players and teammates. In short...to quote a good friend of mine; "He has the dumb...somethin fierce".

Gary McAllister believes 'remorseful' Jon Flanagan deserves a second chance as he closes in on becoming Steven Gerrard's seventh summer signing at Rangers.

The 25-year-old, a former team-mate of Gerrard's at Liverpool, underwent a medical on Wednesday and is expected to join up with the Ibrox side's training camp in Spain.

Flanagan is a free agent after being released by Liverpool, but the signing would provoke debate given his off-field issues. In January, the full-back was given a 12-month community order after admitting assaulting his girlfriend.

Rangers assistant manager McAllister insists there can be no excuses for Flanagan's actions, but that he should be allowed the opportunity of rehabilitation.

'I feel that,' said McAllister. 'It was unacceptable, most definitely. I have a little bit of an in because I worked at Liverpool, but it was unacceptable and a really poor decision that he made in that episode.

'But he deserves a second chance. He showed remorse, he put his hand up and has taken his punishment. He wants to get on with his life and his football life.' 

Flanagan's development at Anfield was hampered by serious knee injuries that led to two operations.

He made 51 Liverpool appearances in total after his debut in 2011 and has spent time on loan at Burnley and Bolton Wanderers in the last two seasons.

Flanagan also earned an England cap with a substitute appearance in a 2014 friendly against Ecuador.

'The club is in talks,' confirmed McAllister. 'We are in the medical stages at the moment and that is going to be in-depth because Jon Flanagan has had problems in the past with parts of his body.

'It is deep and thorough and that is where it's at. I haven't worked with him directly but I know him from my time at Liverpool. He's tough, unassuming, he is an old school full-back that can play either side.

'He can play in a back four, a back five or a back three, so he is versatile, but the big thing is that we know him, we know his character and we think he can deal with 50,000 fans.

'The expectation here is exactly the same as Liverpool. Dealing with those expectations and the crowd is something we know he can cope with.

'He has been unlucky with injuries. It looked as though he was going to go and jump ahead and flourish but he has been hampered by injuries, hence the medical.' 

Flanagan's addition would create renewed speculation over the future of James Tavernier. The right-back has been linked with Crystal Palace, Swansea and Leeds United but McAllister wants him to play an important part next term.

'In this period where Rangers have taken a bit of criticism, James has been one of the standout players and he is going to be key for us,' he added.

Meanwhile, Gerrard will demand Rangers avoid the complacency that led to humiliation against Progres Niederkorn when they meet Macedonian side FK Shkupi.

Gerrard on Wednesday learned the opponent for his competitive debut as Ibrox manager in the first leg of the Europa League first qualifying round on July 12. That match is currently scheduled to be at home but UEFA could yet switch the legs.

Rangers will face either CS Petrocub of Moldova or NK Osijek of Croatia if they progress, but Gerrard insists the embarrassment in Luxembourg 11 months ago proves his players cannot look beyond FK Shkupi.

'The message to the players will be to focus on the first game,' said Gerrard. 'I don't think it will be a very difficult team talk, that first qualifying round, because of what happened last year.

'The team and the squad were very complacent and went out at that stage, so the team talk is already done, really.

'The new players we have brought in want to play in Europe. I want to coach in Europe. All the fans want big nights at Ibrox and an opportunity to travel away and support the team.

'We are not going to play it down. It's very important and we want to be in that group stage but it is each step at a time. We focus on the first leg on July 12 and make sure the team are prepared.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5867757/Jon-Flanagan-deserves-second-chance-Rangers-says-Gary-McAllister.html

25 year old decent  players don’t usually get free transfers. Flanagan has only played 15 games in last 2 years, I see this as a punt by SG. On his recent history he will not be replacing anybody straight away.

19 hours ago, Dragosani said:

Well Gascoinge played for us and he had history!

Yes, but as Frankie pointed out, his wife-beating occurred while he was with us. I was one of only a few that said we should have sacked him immediately for it. Absolutely zero tolerence for this type of stuff.

12 hours ago, pete said:

let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!

Everybody does things you later regret.

Patrick kluivert killed a man with reckless driving and was convicted of manslaughter. it didn't hurt his career much.

If we are going to look at everybody's history with a fine toothed comb we won't sign anyone.

Really Pete? To compare him to Kluivert is the ultimate strawman, why not compare him to the thousands of other footballers who didn't get drunk and beat up a woman instead? 

Everyone may well do things they later regret but there are consequences and just because the guy might be a decent player his actions shouldn't be overlooked. He shouldn't be anywhere near Rangers, we should have standards of decency that exclude wife-beaters from wearing our jersey. We should absolutely look at everyone's history and if it turns out they're dangerous fuckwits we shouldn't sign them. To suggest everyone has a history that's anywhere close to this low-lifes is total bollocks Pete.