Negativity breeds negativity breeds negativity...

We definitely need midfield purchases. Davis is not the answer imo.We need to pay good money for a good play-maker even if it means he is the only buy. We can get by in defence and in attack. I would rather we spent 8 mill for a play-maker than 3 players for 3 mill.

Ive no idea where we are going to get them though. We dont seem to want to even pay for Davis unless its a swap for Boyd or Cousin.

Furman is 1 midfielder who can come into thoughts.

The first is that we should shut up when we see something we don't like. I put it to you that there is no better way to guarantee the perpetuation of mediocrity. Surely the last eight years is evidence enough on that.

No-one is saying you have to be quiet but has it ever been shown in any circle that constant criticism works?

I always thought that led to less motivation to change rather than more.

Imagine a kid in a school team and when he's having a poor game, his father starts shouting and swearing at him, telling him he's shit and booing him. Is that really going to change his mediocrity?

And then add to this the fact that this son was the best player in two cup competitions and second best in two others. Not only that, imagine his father makes things up to criticise him that aren't even true or twists things to look far worse than the young boy is. Imagine he even resorts to lies.

Now do you really think this father "supports" his son? Is he being constructive? Or do you just cringe and think what a shit father this guy is?

Well to me that's what's happening with some of the Rangers support.

It's the same mentality which makes some people think that pessimism is being "realistic" when in truth most of the time reality comes nowhere near to that pessimistic view.

It is NOT realistic to think that toast always falls butter side down.

I think it will be far more supportive to Rangers for the fans to be more like supportive fathers. Giving encouragement, help and constructive criticism. To dwell more on the positive instead of making everything look negative.

Then there's also abandoning the weird view that not quite winning the quadruple is a heinous failure. With that unrealistic view, how the hell can WS do his job at all? Not only that but Rangers are expected to play like Brazil every week.

How people can call that "support" I'll never know.

Keep faith in Walter Smith, says Rangers ace Nacho Novo

Jul 22 2008 By Keith Jackson

NACHO NOVO last night urged Rangers' increasingly anxious supporters to keep the faith in Walter Smith and his players.

The Spanish striker spoke out as the Ibrox boss and his squad prepared for their first pre-season match on home soil tonight at Broadwood against a Clyde side which, with guest stars Brian Laudrup, Jorg Albertz and Arthur Numan, will conjure up memories of better times at Ibrox.

But, although some Rangers fans are pressing the panic button over Smith's paltry summer transfer dealings, Novo is adamant that last season's UEFA Cup Finalists will be ready to hit the ground running when the new campaign begins.

The little hitman, speaking exclusively to Record Sport, said: "People are asking why we have not signed players like Laudrup, Albertz and Numan this summer and I understand that the fans can get frustrated. But there is a lot of quality in our squad.

"It was good enough to reach the final of a European competition last season and the manager has added one or two new faces.

"We still have people like Carlos Cuellar, Barry Ferguson and DaMarcus Beasley to return from injury and I believe we will be a very strong team this season.

"People can overreact to performances in pre-season friendlies.

Yes, we didn't play well in our last game against Schalke on Saturday but it's not time to panic. These games are about getting our fitness right for the new campaign.

"I wasn't happy with the way we played against Schalke - none of the boys was. But we are all working hard and our focus is on getting it right for our game against Kaunas in the Champions League qualifier.

"That's what the manager is working towards and the fans should know enough about Walter Smith to trust him by now. He has done an amazing job since he came back to the club.

"Yes, it would be great if he had the cash to go out and sign the next Brian Laudrup but Rangers can't compete with the wages these kind of players earn in other countries.

"Everybody should trust the gaffer because he knows what he is doing. I'm behind him 110 per cent because I have learned so much form him in the last 18 months. Everybody needs to calm down, relax and let us get on with the job."

Smith's squad will be split in two today for the clash with Clyde and a closed-doors match at Murray Park against Morton. That will take some doing considering the Ibrox boss is currently operating with a midfield that can be described as patchwork at best.

With Ferguson out for up to four months and Steve Davis back at Fulham after being priced out of a permanent move north, Smith is desperately short of manpower.

But Novo said: "It's always like this in pre-season. Everybody struggles for a while. But the boss will have his plans and the players who are already here will be ready for the Kaunas games and the start of the SPL.

"There is too much negativity at the moment. Personally, I feel very positive about the new season.

"Last season we came really close to something very special and there is no reason why we can't build on that.

"I believe in my team-mates and I believe in my manager. But it's up to us as players to show the fans we mean business this season.

"If we want to go into the new season with everyone feeling positive, we have to lead from the front and give them something to get excited about. This is a big season for everyone at the club and it's time for the players to deliver.

"We all have to remember how lucky we are to be playing for a club like this and have to give everything to show the fans we deserve to wear these shirts.

"We did that last season and I am confident we won't let anyone down when the campaign begins."

The hard work starts tomorrow week when Rangers will bring the curtain up on 2008-2009 with a potentially perilous Champions League qualifier against Kaunas.

Novo said: "After what we achieved last season in Europe we don't want to fall flat on our faces. Rangers belong in the Champions League and the fans deserve to watch us at that level.

"That's why it is so important we get our fitness levels right. The results and performances have to improve and they will. Right now we still need a few more games to get our sharpness back.

"As long as we are in top shape for Kaunas, everyone will have done their jobs. We proved we are a good European side last season and we want to show again that Rangers can compete at the highest level."

No-one is saying you have to be quiet but has it ever been shown in any circle that constant criticism works?

I always thought that led to less motivation to change rather than more.

Imagine a kid in a school team and when he's having a poor game, his father starts shouting and swearing at him, telling him he's shit and booing him. Is that really going to change his mediocrity?

And then add to this the fact that this son was the best player in two cup competitions and second best in two others. Not only that, imagine his father makes things up to criticise him that aren't even true or twists things to look far worse than the young boy is. Imagine he even resorts to lies.

Now do you really think this father "supports" his son? Is he being constructive? Or do you just cringe and think what a shit father this guy is?

Well to me that's what's happening with some of the Rangers support.

It's the same mentality which makes some people think that pessimism is being "realistic" when in truth most of the time reality comes nowhere near to that pessimistic view.

It is NOT realistic to think that toast always falls butter side down.

I think it will be far more supportive to Rangers for the fans to be more like supportive fathers. Giving encouragement, help and constructive criticism. To dwell more on the positive instead of making everything look negative.

Then there's also abandoning the weird view that not quite winning the quadruple is a heinous failure. With that unrealistic view, how the hell can WS do his job at all? Not only that but Rangers are expected to play like Brazil every week.

How people can call that "support" I'll never know.

Rather romantic morality but unfortunately we're not dealing with some father and his son. We're dealing with the fortunes of a football club. Some of us refuse to prop up incompetence and under-achievement by continuing to sit on our hands or offering childlike obeisance to people running our club who clearly have little enough respect for us supporters.

You call it negativity, I call it fighting back. You see no purpose to it, I see no alternative to it. You think it's divisive, I think it's inevitable. You believe if we can just offer positive backing then the world will be alright in the morning. I believe that your positive backing will again be thrown back in your face by a callous chairman who has no real interest in our club.

The Rangers support has been deeply divided for years and it is now reaching quite disasterous levels. I'm truly sorry this is the case but I cannot believe it will be improved by what amounts to no more than wishful thinking. Negativity? No, it's anger.

Rather romantic morality but unfortunately we're not dealing with some father and his son. We're dealing with the fortunes of a football club. Some of us refuse to prop up incompetence and under-achievement by continuing to sit on our hands or offering childlike obeisance to people running our club who clearly have little enough respect for us supporters.

You call it negativity, I call it fighting back. You see no purpose to it, I see no alternative to it. You think it's divisive, I think it's inevitable. You believe if we can just offer positive backing then the world will be alright in the morning. I believe that your positive backing will again be thrown back in your face by a callous chairman who has no real interest in our club.

The Rangers support has been deeply divided for years and it is now reaching quite disasterous levels. I'm truly sorry this is the case but I cannot believe it will be improved by what amounts to no more than wishful thinking. Negativity? No, it's anger.

Your fighting back? How exactly are you personally fighting back?

Instead of slagging everyone else off, why not tell us what pro-active action you are taking?

Well done though, you talk a good game, but then none of us support our club do we?

I have to ask you maineflyer, would it not make more sense for you to boycott matches and encourage others who feel like yourself ATM to do likewise?. I really don't see the point in paying good money to watch your team, just so that you can boo them off the park.