Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

ALLY McCOIST'S mobile phone has barely been away from his ear during Rangers' pre-season trip.

Sadly for him, it has rarely been a footballer on the other end.

You get the feeling a few more players would have joined Juan Manuel Ortiz in bolstering McCoist's threadbare squad had the new Gers gaffer managed to speak directly to some of his transfer targets.

McCoist is loving life as the new man in charge at Ibrox but, as he sat at the club's Herzlake base in Germany last week, he spoke of his frustration at dealing with agents rather than players themselves.

He has already lost out on Israeli striker Tomer Hemed, English midfielder Neil Danns and ex-Dundee United winger Craig Conway as he tries to build on the side left behind by Walter Smith.

Any deal for Aston Villa defender Carlos Cuellar now looks dead in the water while his pursuit of Dundee United striker David Goodwillie is set to drag on.

McCoist insists his tireless attempts to sign new stars have been the hardest part of the job so far.

But what makes it even tougher is he can't meet players face to face and persuade them Ibrox is the place to be.

He said: "I'm on the phone for what seems like hours a day. It's very difficult having to deal with that.

"Trying to sign players is the one side of the job I didn't realise would be quite so time-consuming.

"And the main problem is I can't deal with the player. Words end up transferred in a different way and it takes a little bit longer to get things done.

"It's a fact of life now but I'd far rather talk to a player.

"It's frustrating because I think of myself as someone who, if sat down with a player, could convince him to come to Rangers. I could sell this club to him easily.

"But you can't sell the club to an agent, that's the bottom line. The agent isn't interested in the club. He should be interested in his player's welfare but it doesn't work like that.

"I do find it tough but I was told it would be frustrating. I want things to happen yesterday but it simply hasn't worked out that way.

"I'm doing my best not to let it get me down but it's difficult at times.

"We need players here who fit into our group. So the most important thing is not to buy anyone just for the sake of it.

"We need a balance because the season starts soon. We have to be ready and want to hit the ground running.

"But we need to get the players we want and they have to want to come - that's what's most important."

Despite chasing a new striker McCoist is adamant he has a ready-made, red-hot partnership up front in the shape of Croatian ace Nikica Jelavic and Ulsterman Kyle Lafferty.

He's determined to bolster his options going forward, with Goodwillie a prime target, but will have no fears in starting with Jelavic and Lafferty after their superb end to the last campaign.

And, as a former goalscorer himself, McCoist knows just how gutted either of them would feel if dropped in favour of a new addition.

He said: "Jelavic and Lafferty were different class in the last 10 games of last season. Stevie Naismith can play as a centre-forward as well but we still want to strengthen that area.

Kyle and Nikica battered in the goals to win us the title - they looked as if they would score in every game.

"Their goals and performances towards the end were fantastic - they were a real handful for defences.

"We've said all along that Lafferty is a centre-forward but we have played him in different positions.

"To a degree we had been unfair to him because he hadn't enjoyed an extended run up front.

"But he got his chance last season when Kenny Miller left - and took it.

"I firmly believe when you have possession of the jersey then it's yours to lose. You can rest players in other positions but strikers don't want to be left out when they're scoring and on top of their game.

"If Jelavic and Lafferty continue their form it could be huge for us because they're more than a match for anyone.

"Goalscorers don't want to be dropped or rested because the toys come out of the pram - I'm speaking from experience!"

Two players unlikely to be left out of any Rangers team are keeper Allan McGregor and full-back Steven Whittaker.

Both signed new long-term deals last week and McCoist is optimistic Northern Ireland midfielder Steven Davis will now follow suit.

There are just minor details to iron out before Davis puts pen to paper and the Rangers boss looks set to receive a massive boost just a fortnight before the SPL title defence begins.

McCoist said: "I'm very hopeful we'll get Davis tied up. I don't want to tempt fate but we've had ongoing negotiations. There are one or two things to discuss but it has all been positive. All indications are we'll get something over the line.

"Steven is one we can sell the club to because he has been here three-and-a-half years. We're selling him more of the same.

"It was the same with McGregor and Whittaker. They have been a huge part of the success we've had and if we can keep that spine, and add to it, we'll be alright

Ally talking down our chances of getting Cuellar now. Our defence desperately needs additions - frankly only one of our current players is 'good' enough and that's Whittaker, purely on the basis that he's one of our 'untouchables' so he will always start.

But Weir, Papac, Broadfoot and Bougherra is a hideous collection of first teamers to be going into the new season with.

I'd never heard of this Rodriguez guy - 500k seems like a bit too cheap. I fear he's the Spanish Kirk Broadfoot at that price.

Ally talking down our chances of getting Cuellar now. Our defence desperately needs additions - frankly only one of our current players is 'good' enough and that's Whittaker, purely on the basis that he's one of our 'untouchables' so he will always start.

But Weir, Papac, Broadfoot and Bougherra is a hideous collection of first teamers to be going into the new season with.

I'd never heard of this Rodriguez guy - 500k seems like a bit too cheap. I fear he's the Spanish Kirk Broadfoot at that price.

They're all treble winners.

Of course we all know we need to strengthen.

Strong and bizarre choice of words there. Ideally a quality centre back will be brought in to reduce the need to place so much responsibility on Weir. Hardly a hideous collection of first teamers though.

Whittaker Weir/another Bougherra Papac would be an acceptable back four for another season, if not ideal.