Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

RANGERS are weighing up a swoop for Espanyol centre half Raul Rodriguez.

Ibrox boss Ally McCoist is desperate to sign a new stopper in time for the big SPL kick-off.

And Rodriguez, 23, has emerged as a target to partner Madjid Bougherra at the back.

McCoist revealed last night that Gers could also be set for contract talks with star man Bougy.

But the new gaffer is desperate to find someone to play alongside the big Algerian defender.

Gers have been told that Rodriguez would cost around �£500,000.

Now talks with the La Liga outfit will take place over the next 24 hours as McCoist hopes to strike a deal.

He told SunSport: "Rodriguez is one of a number of players we're looking at."

Rodriguez had three seasons in Spain's Second Division with Gramenet before joining Espanyol last summer.

But he only made ten appearances last season.

Gers director of football Gordon Smith added: "We've had good reports on him. We now need to speak to Espanyol and discuss the terms of any possible transfer.

"We are working on a number of targets and hope to make progress in the coming week."

Rangers fans will also be boosted by the news the club would be set to hold talks with Bougherra.

Bougy has 12 months to run on his Ibrox deal - and looked set to quit the SPL champs this summer.

But McCoist has vowed NOT to cash in on the 28-year-old.

The Gers boss said: "It's a possibility that he could walk away from the club for nothing at the end of the season.

"But he's come back for pre-season training with us and wants to train and he wants to play.

"Circumstances will dictate what will happen with him, but I absolutely want to keep him.

"I wouldn't even rule out a new contract. I'm certainly open to that. It's not something we've spoken about to Madjid but I wouldn't rule it out."

Gers lost 3-0 in their second friendly game against Bochum on Saturday with McCoist insisting the defeat only underlines his need for fresh faces in defence.

But he vowed: "We're not going to panic buy.

"It's blatantly obvious to everyone we need players in - and we'll do that.

"But I'm not just going to go out and get players just for the sake of it.

"We know what we need and we'll go and get them."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3687770/Ally-McCoist-is-after-hot-Rod.html#ixzz1RmdGRl40

Strong and bizarre choice of words there. Ideally a quality centre back will be brought in to reduce the need to place so much responsibility on Weir. Hardly a hideous collection of first teamers though.

Whittaker Weir/another Bougherra Papac would be an acceptable back four for another season, if not ideal.

Nah, you stick by your sugar coated words and I'll stick with mine.

Can we stick to rumours in here, rather than debating amongst ourselves, yes?

Sounds fair enough - please create/use other threads for off-topic stuff. :)

The Aussie dude McCoist was looking at has signed for Crystal Palace.

We're losing out to really shite teams. Danns to Leicester, this guy to CP.

We cannot compete with championship teams. That, tbh, is worryiing.

McCoist wasn't exactly pushing to get him, I actually thought we had withdrawn and not following up our interest. So I am not fussed about this one, not really bothered by Danns as I thought he would like to stay in England.

In an interview with Mark Bensteadt (STV), Andy Little has said he would be keen to go on loan. According to the interviewer's twitter. Perhaps to get match practise and a few games? Can't see him being a first team choice for the time being.

@ Danny and Jedinak: we hardly have a clue whether we wanted him. Someone uttered that we looked at him (because he's a freebie) and as soon as he's signed for someone else, it is US who lost out. There are a dozen odd reasons why people sign for this team or that. It could well be that half of Europe were after him and they also lost out to Palace. How would we know?

Edited by der Berliner