Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

Jelavic could have played in the CL if AW had not qualified for the Euro league group stages.

Yep, Pete is correct. I remember us all hoping they got put out prior to qualifying for the group stages.

This is getting to look like we are Watching back to the future. Ally will be changing his name to Michael J. Fox before the season kicks off.:frown:

From The Daily Record:

ASTON Villa last night cleared the way for Carlos Cuellar�s return to Ibrox.

The Premiership side finally agreed to sell after Rangers increased their bid to �£2million. But although Villa have accepted, everything now depends on the Spaniardâ��s willingness to take a severe cut in wages.

It is understood Cuellar is on just more than �£40,000 a week down south but Rangers wonâ��t pay much more than half of that. It is likely Cuellar would have to accept �£25,000 a week but that would still make him one of the highest-paid players at Ibrox.

While Villa finally relented on Rangers� bid for Cuellar, Espanyol have thrown out the Ibrox club�s offer for Raul Rodriguez.

Sporting director Ramon Planes said Gersâ�� initial bid of �£400,000 for the defender didnâ��t meet their valuation.

He said: ââ?¬Å?The bid Rangers made for Raul was insufficient. It is not acceptable. We believe in Raul, he is a young player who hasnââ?¬â?¢t played a lot of games. Heââ?¬â?¢s one for the future.ââ?¬Â

Kenny Miller is another player on Rangers� radar and he�ll also have to accept a massive pay cut before returning to Ibrox.

Last night Rangersââ?¬â?¢ director of football Gordon Smith said: ââ?¬Å?There are two aspects we need to understand. Firstly, is he available and is he available at a price we would pay?

ââ?¬Å?And is he willing to look at the wage structure in Scottish football as opposed to Turkish football?

ââ?¬Å?If he comes back here it would not be on the same sort of basis financially.ââ?¬Â

Cuellar arrived at Ibrox from Osasuna in 2007 but was transferred to Villa for �£7.8m after only a year.

Alex McLeish was reluctant to part with the central defender and slapped a �£3m price tag on his head. But last night he and Villa relented.

Rangers had offered �£1.5m a couple of weeks ago but with the loss of six goals in three matches on tour in Germany highlighting the teamâ��s defensive frailties the bid was increased.

Ally McCoist has made no secret of the fact he sees Cuellar as the player he�d like to see form a defensive alliance with Madjid Bougherra.

It is believed the Algerian is now willing to sign a new contract while Steve Davis is also close to a new deal.

Smith said: ââ?¬Å?Weââ?¬â?¢ve offered Davis an extension to his contract and weââ?¬â?¢re hoping we get that completed.

ââ?¬Å?We are just waiting to finalise it.ââ?¬Â

News of Villa opening the way for Cuellar�s return and Bougherra�s change of heart will be a relief to Rangers fans growing concerned at the lack of transfer activity.

As he left Germany, McCoist promised signings within the next week.

This is getting to look like we are Watching back to the future. Ally will be changing his name to Michael J. Fox before the season kicks off.:frown:

ultimately if the players are better than what we have just now then i'm all for it but it does seem as though we have a lack of ideas. What is gattuso like these days?

ultimately if the players are better than what we have just now then i'm all for it but it does seem as though we have a lack of ideas. What is gattuso like these days?

His spat with Joe Jordan last season did not make good viewing.

More trouble than he is worth for me.

Anyway another wage that would be out of our league.

Where is our scouting system? As far as I can see they have been sitting on their arses looking in the rear view mirror. The only new idea we have had was the player from Israel. For the rest it has been digging up dinosaur bones. Lets turn Murray park into a retirement home instead of a youth development centre ffs.:ffs:

Where is our scouting system? As far as I can see they have been sitting on their arses looking in the rear view mirror. The only new idea we have had was the player from Israel. For the rest it has been digging up dinosaur bones. Lets turn Murray park into a retirement home instead of a youth development centre ffs.:ffs:

surely going a little ott there mate :). Carlos is only 29 and is what 12 years younger than david weir. Miller has only been away 6 months. I will give you Gattuso though lol. Ultimately if these players can help secure us champions league group stages again then i think it is worth it.