Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

Carlos Cuellar will hold talks with Rangers in the coming days, after Aston Villa accepted a transfer bid from the Ibrox club.

A reported fee of �£2 million has been agreed between the two sides, leaving Cuellar to decide whether he wants to return to Scotland three years after departing for the English Premier League.

Cuellar’s agent, Pedro Bravo, confirmed to STV on Friday the possibility of his client moving back to Rangers was now open but wouldn’t be drawn on whether the player’s salary would be a stumbling block.

“I believe Aston Villa and Rangers have agreed a fee over Carlos Cuellar,” Bravo told STV. “Now I and Carlos need to speak to Rangers, but that is all I want to say.”

Cuellar is currently injured and, speaking on his Twitter account this week, said he hoped to be running within the next two weeks after visiting a doctor in London.

The defender left Rangers for the English Premier League in August 2008, heading south in a deal worth �£7.8 million after just one season in the Scottish Premier League.

Cuellar, who turns 30 in August, was a key figure in the Rangers backline as they reached the 2008 UEFA Cup final, making 65 appearances in the 2007/08 season.

http://sport.stv.tv/..._medium=twitter

little bit of pee came out when I read that....

Guest Dutchy
Jelavic could have played in the CL if AW had not qualified for the Euro league group stages.

I vaugely remember something of that arguement, AV quelified for the Europa league, which disqualified Jelavic from playing in the CL, neit warr?

I vaugely remember something of that arguement, AV quelified for the Europa league, which disqualified Jelavic from playing in the CL, neit warr?

Wel waar!:thup:

Interesting stat I have just been told. Don't know how true this is as I'm no accountant, but...

Cuellar is currently on �£40k - the tax on high earners takes that down to 20k actual income. If he's offered �£25k at Ibrox, the same tax means he goes down to 12.5k.

Which means a drop of 7.5k rather than the vast loss I originally thought.

He might actually come.

Im sure we will be adding bonuses and signing on fee, and considering he will get more appearance money (Villa dont play him as much) then the drop may not even be as high as 7.5k.

THE agent of Spurs star Bongani Khumalo says a loan deal to Rangers would appeal if they fail to land Spanish stopper Raul Rodriguez (Daily Express)

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/07/15/transfer-talk-friday-july-15-spurs-star-wants-gers-switch-killie-after-ex-celt-united-don-t-want-sneijder-86908-23273035/

I can't find that story in the Express??

RANGERS have rejected Burnley's offer of �£1million plus stopper Andre Bikey for their ex-striker Kyle Lafferty.

SunSport understands Clarets boss Eddie Howe was prepared to include giant Cameroon defender Bikey as part of the package to snare Lafferty.

But any move has been blocked - a sign that new Gers gaffer McCoist sees hitman Lafferty as a key part of his long-term plans.

The Northern Ireland ace, a �£3.25 million signing from Burnley in 2008, finished last season in sensational form alongside Nikica Jelavic, netting eight goals in the final 10 games including the title-winning hat-trick at Kilmarnock.

Lafferty, 23, was a popular figure at Burnley, but the striker - currently facing a month out with a groin injury - would prefer to stay at Ibrox.

Meanwhile, Gers' bid to sign Carlos Cuellar is complicated by the player's situation at Aston Villa.

The English Premier League club have accepted Rangers' �£2million offer.

But SunSport understands Cuellar, 29, is at odds with Villa over a deal they offered him and then withdrew.

Cuellar was offered a new contract under Gerard Houllier.

But now Alex McLeish has taken over Cuellar has been told that deal is now off the table.

McCoist will speak to the stopper and try and convince him to return to the SPL.

But the Ibrox boss fears he'll be unable to persuade him to take a huge drop in his current �£40,000-a-week deal.