The OP says that the YCV reference is the problem.

YCV is on the 'banned list' of police scotland. Young Citizen Volunteers was a youth branch of the modern UVF

There is two flute bands that I know of with Young Calvay Volunteers name, AFAIK the Glasgow one is not allowed to parade the streets legally with there band uniforms/logos/flags if they have the 3 clover picture or YCV name on show.

The Belfast band don't have this problem.

The "irony" regarding the YCV vs the IRA is that the yahoos (and cohorts) are offended by the naughty YCV (1972 incarnation) et al, for these are "bigoted loyalist terrorist defending the evil empire men", whereas people like us (rightly) saying: nope, the UVF, No. 1 Platoon et al are British army units fighting in wars and terrorists all over the planet. Yet, when we say the IRA are terrorists (and nigh any song they sing is about the post-WWII IRA), they claim that they sing about freedom fighters and that is political and bla ...

The sad thing is that the mhedia and a certain faction amongst Scottish upstart (for years) politics fall and cater to that notion.

The whole of Ibrox stadium singing No Surrender is probably one of the most rousing things i've ever heard.

As i bet was the Billy Boys but they have no relevance to football and no place inside any football stadium. We have many real Rangers songs, applicable songs, which if everyone knew the words to would be just as rousing with the whole stadium giving it laldy.

It's a bit strange getting done for singing about something so obscure that most folk would have to google it before they know if they are offended or not!

One could be forgiven for thinking someone with an agenda somewhere is pushing this one sided nonsense!

As i bet was the Billy Boys but they have no relevance to football and no place inside any football stadium. We have many real Rangers songs, applicable songs, which if everyone knew the words to would be just as rousing with the whole stadium giving it laldy.

In my humble opinion none of them match "the blue, blue sea of Ibrox"

The "irony" regarding the YCV vs the IRA is that the yahoos (and cohorts) are offended by the naughty YCV (1972 incarnation) et al, for these are "bigoted loyalist terrorist defending the evil empire men", whereas people like us (rightly) saying: nope, the UVF, No. 1 Platoon et al are British army units fighting in wars and terrorists all over the planet. Yet, when we say the IRA are terrorists (and nigh any song they sing is about the post-WWII IRA), they claim that they sing about freedom fighters and that is political and bla ...

The sad thing is that the mhedia and a certain faction amongst Scottish upstart (for years) politics fall and cater to that notion.

As always I can only speak for myself but the UVF references being held to mean WW1 stuff only came in - and I mean at all, I never heard it mentioned once, been going to Ibrox since 84 and lived in a Rangers oriented world since I was about 7 - after they said such references will be made illegal.

I don't buy it at all. Plainly that kind of leaves me basically saying to those who use that argument 'I don't believe you', but there you are.

As always I can only speak for myself but the UVF references being held to mean WW1 stuff only came in - and I mean at all, I never heard it mentioned once, been going to Ibrox since 84 and lived in a Rangers oriented world since I was about 7 - after they said such references will be made illegal.

I've heard the argument for many years, both on-line and off-line. Celtic fans have also used it for many years.

I think that it can be used successfully in a few cases like the first verse of "Coming Down the Road" which has been sung in Ibrox this season (for the first time as far as I can recall). In some cases like A Father's Advice I'd say it's a bit more ambiguous but the implication is that it's not referring to WW1 and I think it'd be difficult to prove that it did.

It's an argument that I find unacceptable when used by Celtic fans so it's not one that I'd find easy to support when used by Rangers fans.

I don't buy it at all. Plainly that kind of leaves me basically saying to those who use that argument 'I don't believe you', but there you are.

:facepalm:

you seem an educated person Andy,, ( mabie except your political alliances, but i'm sure that's your choice and not your education ).. but that mate is just total nonsense

Or at least you might need to broaden your view a little to the real world, i'm sure ive had this conversation with you before too...

The emblems and standards some of the flute bands et all march have dedicated to the Battle of the Somme and other various UK history, and they have been marching with these since before your 1984....

With your dying breath, really? Is it really so difficult to accept that fashions, sensibilities, tastes and tolerances change and evolve over time. What was acceptable once can become unacceptable through time. Would you defend the singing of say the Horst Wessel song with your dying breath? What about some of the songs recorded by Johnny Rebel as recently as the 1960s? They are two examples of songs that were acceptable, enjoyed and sung by many once. But not so much today because times change. I mean if you're really looking for an example of this look at Marching Through Georgia, the song the 'Billy Boys' derives from. The sentiment is fine but the words are now unacceptable.

If people feel so strongly about this then make up new songs, new expressions of their culture. Culture shouldn't be stuck in the past, it should progress. Drop the old songs and create new ones, ones that don't break the law. this shouldn't be beyond the wit of the people who want to sing them.

Freedom of speech will never go out of fashion.

Let's say our fans dramatically and unison stop singing the songs which are considered offensive or even illegal....do you think that will be the end of it and we'll be left alone? No chance, they'll go after Blue Blue Sea of Ibrox and all the other "clean" songs for tenuous reasons and eventually they will be tarnished. Rinse and repeat, throw in some political weight, some NUJ members hemorraghing printed bile and bingo onto the next one.

The tit-for tat culture and perma offended mindset has to change.