Lee Wallace pulls out of the Scotland squad

I'm assuming you are a reasonably young person. I'm also assuming that you don't fully understand the heritage of Rangers.

I'm quite aware that times have changed since I was a young 'un, however, like everything else 'times' go in cycles. I don't know if you are aware of the guy who made this speech ...

"I have been lucky — lucky in those who were around me from the boardroom to the dressing-room. In time of stress, their unstinted support, unbroken devotion to our club and calmness in adversity eased the task of making Rangers FC the premier club in this country.

"To be a Ranger is to sense the sacred trust of upholding all that such a name means in this shrine of football. They must be true in their conception of what the Ibrox tradition seeks from them. No true Ranger has ever failed in the tradition set him.

"Our very success, gained you will agree by skill, will draw more people than ever to see it. And that will benefit many more clubs than Rangers. Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase. It is healthy for us. We will never hide from it. Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers."

... I'm also pretty sure that that guy's attitude is still pretty prevalent among the support today.

My God man, you are advocating that we should tuck tail and run. What a heresy, what an attack on the sensibilities.

Rangers don't do walking away !!

Nothing whatsoever to do with running/walking away. Mr Struths words were as relevant then as they are today, I'm not getting into semantics over those great words, they are sacred and not up for debate on a forum.

JFK makes similar points to mine as do many others. If there are supporters who think Scotland is a prosperous and welcoming place to do businesses, live and play football for Rangers at present and in the future, we all have our opinions. I have mine and it won't change. The sooner we take our fans, our business, our money and our club elsewhere and evolve into an environment which is conducive for success the better off we will be. In life everything must change and adapt to suit its surroundings. It must evolve as life around it evolves. Anything that dosnt is destined for a problematic existence.

Edited by cooponthewing

I'm assuming you are a reasonably young person. I'm also assuming that you don't fully understand the heritage of Rangers.

I'm quite aware that times have changed since I was a young 'un, however, like everything else 'times' go in cycles. I don't know if you are aware of the guy who made this speech ...

"I have been lucky — lucky in those who were around me from the boardroom to the dressing-room. In time of stress, their unstinted support, unbroken devotion to our club and calmness in adversity eased the task of making Rangers FC the premier club in this country.

"To be a Ranger is to sense the sacred trust of upholding all that such a name means in this shrine of football. They must be true in their conception of what the Ibrox tradition seeks from them. No true Ranger has ever failed in the tradition set him.

"Our very success, gained you will agree by skill, will draw more people than ever to see it. And that will benefit many more clubs than Rangers. Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase. It is healthy for us. We will never hide from it. Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers."

... I'm also pretty sure that that guy's attitude is still pretty prevalent among the support today.

My God man, you are advocating that we should tuck tail and run. What a heresy, what an attack on the sensibilities.

Rangers don't do walking away !!

"I don't know if you are aware of the man who said this" - how condescending do you need to get ?

Maybe one should not equate Scotland* as such with the cabal that runs - some may saw ruin - the Scottish game for these last few years. They will, sooner or later, be replaced by others, who are not neck-deep in Rangers hatred and probably with less ties to our fellows from the East. It doesn't look like it just now, but one never knows. These jobs are not "for life", not least when people run the game into chaos.

*This is not to say that quite a few Scottish people - let's call the patriots for a lack of better wording - have a certain dislike for us in this day and age of independence babble, something that will sure not change if we continue to wave the Union Jack and sing GSTQ should inedepence happen by. Not that similar stuff was commented on when the Yahoos presented their faux-Irishness week in and week out in a "foreign country". But there you go.

Maybe one should not equate Scotland* as such with the cabal that runs - some may saw ruin - the Scottish game for these last few years. They will, sooner or later, be replaced by others, who are not neck-deep in Rangers hatred and probably with less ties to our fellows from the East. It doesn't look like it just now, but one never knows. These jobs are not "for life", not least when people run the game into chaos.

Spot on dB. We are in a horrible position now, some of it is our own doing by the Murray empire alienating and ignoring the other clubs, while our rivals cosied up and sought political office in all areas of Scottish football. But these things can change, and we should be working hard in the background to force change, not cut and run because we dont like the current way of things. We are a proudly Scottish club and we belong here. We should be working to ensure the Scotland of tomorrow is better than the Scotland of today, from a footballing perspective.

If you are happy being a European irrelevance and to compete in a Scottish league that will never challenge those in Europe again then fair enough. In a financial and footballing sense we need out of here if we are to grow and compete in a larger European and global context.

Scottish football will never be what it once was and if we get the chance I am confident those who have responsibility will grasp it with both hands and get us out of here.

FWIW that isn't running away, if nothing else its financial common sense.

It is always going to be a big debate re our playing in Scotland.

I for one am happy to keep doing so as I am not getting any younger and,besides winning the lottery,am not in a financial position to undertake away games out of here.

The debate obviuosly covers a wide age and financial gap.