Joey Barton - Is there a way back?

Well that looks more like it in fairness to him.

He's a loose cannon and a screwball but he is also a talented player.

Guess it depends how he wants to finish his career.

If he had just sat on his arse watching telly and tweeting for the past 4 weeks I would have doubted his commitment. It would certainly suggest a determination to get back into the reckoning and might also suggest he will go to the manager cap in hand pledging to toe the line.

I would imagine any player signing for our club is told there are rules that the club would like them to abide with as will the SFA now if we all adopt the attitude to eff the rules the whole thing will collapse into chaos .

I would imagine any player signing for our club is told there are rules that the club would like them to abide with as will the SFA now if we all adopt the attitude to eff the rules the whole thing will collapse into chaos .

I don't think I have ever been read set of rules at a job interview it is just taken for granted that everyone has basic good behaviour. Possibly if there are rules that are not everyday rules attached only to that company they will state them. I would even say the onus is on the SFA to send players when registering a copy of the rules.

Joey Barton should end Rangers circus and get in line with the club's values says Mark Hateley

06:00, 8 Oct 2016

By Craig Swan

CLUB ambassador Hateley is adamant that if Barton is to stay with the club the circus surrounding him needs to end.

RANGERS legend Mark Hateley has told Joey Barton to stop being a distraction and get into line with the values of the club.

The Ibrox bad-boy is due back at Murray Park on Monday after the end of a suspension imposed by boss Mark Warburton.

Barton and the manager will have crunch talks about his future, which have been clouded yet further after the Scouser was smacked by an SFA charge for betting on 44 matches.

The 34-year-old’s career with the Light Blues is on the line going into the meeting with Warburton.

Club ambassador Hateley is adamant that, if Barton is to stay with the club, the circus surrounding him needs to end.

Barton has spent over a week at a boot-camp in Qatar working on his fitness as he looks to prove himself worthy of a second chance in Glasgow.

Hateley reckons his countryman also needs to cut-out the off-field nonsense if he wants to be a success and said: “Joey is Joey and he doesn’t need any promoting.

“It is a distraction Rangers could do without just now as we have had enough distraction off the field over the last five or six years.

“All the focus should be on the pitch.

“That’s where all your stories should come from.

“In the social media world we live in, it’s not like that, unfortunately.

“A lot of players do come to the club, whether it is Joey Barton and others who have played at a high level and fall short of the expectations of what Rangers players should be about.

“It is all about understanding the values of the club and what is and what isn’t excepted.

“Traditions must go forward and we must stand by those traditions.

“The club will stand by any decision and whatever that is will be the right one for me.”

Hateley has no sympathy over Barton’s betting misjudgement and added: “When you come to any club or any country you have to understand the laws.

“Zero tolerance on betting means exactly that.

“That is not a difficult one to understand.

“Professional players know what they can and can’t do.

“It is a foolish thing to be doing. You can’t bet on football, full stop.”

Ironically, Rangers’ performances have improved since Barton was suspended from the club.

Warburton has reintroduced the likes of fans favourites Andy Halliday and Jason Holt to the starting line-up and the pair have helped to reinvigorate the Ibrox scene.

Hateley sees clear progress and confirmed: “I think we are going in the right direction.

“We have to be steady in how we go forward.

“I think we are stronger and more competitive than last year and that’s where we need to be, especially in the top flight.

“There is expectation from the supporters and media alike who expect Rangers to be pushing for championships and going to cup finals.

“But, it is a different animal now. Scottish football is where it is.

“When you are building a team up to full strength you have to do it in little bits unless you have a rich benefactor who has a £100 million quid which we haven’t got.

“It is all about building from within, with strong foundations.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joey-barton-should-end-rangers-9001989

Well, ever since his ban + one day, he essentially hasn't said a word or done a thing, yet every day someone else has some advice for him or a coment on him. By now, even his milkman will have been asked about his opinion. When we essentially still not know what it was all about. Looks like papers were and are in the direst of need to fill their pages. You do wonder what will happen if actually something important happens ...

The only good thing read so far is he has done a 10 day boot camp in Qatar. That would have been gruelling and he would easily have gained fitness with that. Plus in the heat means in a cooler climate he will gain another 10-20%.

But its a waiting game now. Its up to MW to see what he decides.

You get the impression he could come back but in 6 weeks time we may have another Joey story.

I feel if Joey gets another chance he may come back even more determined than ever to make a mark. In the long run this debacle may turn out to have been a good thing to get him focused. The fact he's spending his own money on this training camp in Qatar is a very good sign of intention to work hard at getting back into the team on merit.